Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to forum and looking for help. I bought a 1994 YJ 4 banger about 6 months ago. No problems. Recently began having starter problems. It will start about 3 times in a row, slightly bogging down, and then on the 4th, barely a click. Shows good volts, good charging, the starter and solenoid test good, the battery tests good even under a load. Wait over night and we get about another 3 starts and then straight to barely a click. Jumping it doesn't help. Terminals on battery are ultra clean but I have taken them off and retightened them anyway. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Many electrical problems can be traced to poor grounds or previous attempts to install some electrical component.

Take your (-) cable off the block and clean the cable end and the block. Then put it back with a dab of dielectric grease.
Then do the same thing with the ground strap from the back of the block to the firewall(both ends).

Look to where your (+) cable connects into your electrical system. Your 1994 is different than my 1987 so I don't know where it connects without looking at it. Make sure it's clean and well connected.

With battery cable connections, clean is more important than tight. No matter how tight a battery cable is, if it's not clean where it clamps onto the stud, you'll have problems.

If none of the above suggestions cure your issue, then do the same thing to your starter connections.

The next thing is your solenoid.

If nothing above helps, repost what you've done and your results. We want to help.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
722 Posts
When you say "bogs down", do you mean the starter is turning over slowly? If the battery and starter and solenoid check out good, check the condition of all your cables and anywhere there is a ground. The cables will start to corrode on the inside of the sheathing where you can't see it. Take them off and bend and twist and the cables to see if there is any crinkling or rough parts on the cable. Take off all the ground points you can find and clean with a wire brush and reattach them and see if that helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. In my heart I was pretty sure that was the direction I needed to go. I was hoping for something easier (lol). I did a quick check of the cables and everything was clean but I am afraid you are right. Gotta get dirty and start chasing each cable inch by inch. The problem is inconsistent which I think often times is consistent with bad cables/ground. I'll let you know. Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no luck

So i cleaned every terminal and removed the ground to the block and firewall. Checked the cables and made sure they were seated on snug. Same symptoms. Here is what seems to be consistent. Each new day I get about 3 starts, each one progressively sounding like the battery is dying more, except it shows a solid 12V+. The 4th start only a click at the relay. I immediately put a fresh battery on it and just a click. I let it sit overnight and the next day, i get the same 3 starts (barely starting on the 3rd attempt again). We had messed around with the stereo prior to this but in troubleshooting, completely disconnected and isolated it, even if it was creating a draw, a new battery would have been able to kick it over.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Next thing is to take the starter off and have it checked.
Parts store checks aren't the most reliable, but if they tell you the starter is bad, it probably is.

I suspect that on the first start, the starter is cold and there is no problem. On the second and third starts, the starter heats up and something inside expands and causes a drag.
As the engine warms up, it doesn't allow the starter to cool and relieve the drag. Overnight it cools enough to crank easily.

Just a guess, but it's something to think about.

Good luck, L.M.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was it! Bad starter. Must have been something to do with the heat. All good now. Thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts