Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Im a big believer in drilled and slotted rotors.
The main reason is longevity. Drilled and slotted rotors dissipate heat better than solid rotors, preventing warping and longer life for your pads.

I say go for it. Just make sure to add a quality set of pads too.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
no vote from me... as if you off road, the slots and holes get filled with dirt, which in turn then break down the pads faster... great for a go fast car.. not some much for a 4x4.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Waste of money IMO.

Im a big believer in drilled and slotted rotors.
The main reason is longevity. Drilled and slotted rotors dissipate heat better than solid rotors, preventing warping and longer life for your pads.

I say go for it. Just make sure to add a quality set of pads too.
If you're actually using your brakes to these extremes the issue you face with drilled rotors is fracturing around the drilled points. Go take a look at any modern super car, Le Mans car, or Formula 1 car. Guarantee you won't find a single drilled rotor. Maybe slotted, but vast majority are vented solid rotors.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,391 Posts
No, not even close. They may look cool but leave the trick rotors for the ricers. Not to mention holes, slots, and dimples reduce the rotor's swept surface area available for the brake pads.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks for the input.. Now I don't want to drop a ton of money into the Black magic brakes bc this is just one of many other things that I'm about to purchase... So I'm trying to keep costs down on things that I can. So, is a rotor just like any other rotor? It's just steel correct, nothing fancy.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I personally didn't find them worth it on my track cars. Thermal mass > unsprung weight reduction When it comes to brakes.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Ok thanks for the input.. Now I don't want to drop a ton of money into the Black magic brakes bc this is just one of many other things that I'm about to purchase... So I'm trying to keep costs down on things that I can. So, is a rotor just like any other rotor? It's just steel correct, nothing fancy.
ask yourself, are brakes less important than bumpers, lifts or tires?

Its like spending $5 on replacement headlights instead of upgrading. Its your safety.

Ive had bad luck with cheap rotors warping quickly. so thats my take on it.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
ask yourself, are brakes less important than bumpers, lifts or tires?

Its like spending $5 on replacement headlights instead of upgrading. Its your safety.

Ive had bad luck with cheap rotors warping quickly. so thats my take on it.
Warped disc brakes is such a myth. What people typically think is warped disc brakes is uneven transfer of friction material to the disc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts