Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a drake fire extinguisher mount and the best place it looks like for it is the roll bar behind the passenger. Basically I wanna make sure it's not gonna compromise the bar in any way. It came with clamps to install it as an option

·
Registered
789 Posts
Might as well drill it. It's not a "roll bar" it's a "sport bar". It's not designed to keep you safe in a roll over. The Sport bar isn't tied to the frame, just the sheet metal tub.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah now I drilled the holes an can't make the bolts go in. And if I go a size larger it will just fall in

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
""""The Sport bar isn't tied to the frame, just the sheet metal tub. """""
Yup, just life the seats, floor, lap belt, and shoulder harness.

If that "sport bar" was tied into the frame and the rest weren't, the bar could pull down and do lots of squishing to occupants. (They make gopher traps like that.)

Remember, the body is only held onto the frame with small bolts through sheetmetal, they separate fairly easy.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes me feel btr haha oh well the holes are already drilled. Now it won't stay there though

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Um, just use the clamps. If you're like hubby you'll rip it off the first time you wheel it with the top down anyway....... :(

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I thought the clamps fit but they don't. I don't know what roll bar they looked at but it wasent like mine so I've gotta drill it in.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I used 3" hose clamps and put mine behind the drivers' seat, with the bracket facing towards the rear (I don't want to to come loose in the event of a sudden front stop). I used SS clamps and they seem to be holding fine....

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
InfernoGirl said:
Um, just use the clamps. If you're like hubby you'll rip it off the first time you wheel it with the top down anyway....... :(
And did he rip a fire extinguisher off or just an accessory? I'll only be wheelin with no top lol

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
He ripped off the extinguisher itself, busted the nozzle.... :( Brand new, put it on the day before... Trees are mean :(

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thread tap? ^ elaborate please

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
InfernoGirl said:
He ripped off the extinguisher itself, busted the nozzle.... :( Brand new, put it on the day before... Trees are mean :(
That sucks. I didn't buy the most expensive one just because of that. I was gonna get a " clean agent" one but it's $110 so I just went with a dry Chen that was $60

1 - 13 of 13 Posts