Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
92 wrangler 2.5 with a 5 speed AX-5. the drip puddle smells like transmission oil? Whats wrong?please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
Color? Red (new) or brown (used) is transmission fluid.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
742 Posts
Transmission fluid will turn from red to brown in time but the distinctive smell is different from motor oil. Relax it's easily remedied.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Transmission fluid will turn from red to brown in time but the distinctive smell is different from motor oil. Relax it's easily remedied.
How do I go about fixing this leak?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
no telling what type oil you have in the tranny..it may be gear oil,it may be automatic transmission fluid or it may be motor oil.there are different opinions on what to use in these newer manual trannys so no telling what has been put in it...if it is coming out of the transmission and is dripping out of the bell housing then the tranny will have to be pulled in order to replace the front seal in it

·
Registered
742 Posts
no telling what type oil you have in the tranny..it may be gear oil,it may be automatic transmission fluid or it may be motor oil.there are different opinions on what to use in these newer manual trannys so no telling what has been put in it...if it is coming out of the transmission and is dripping out of the bell housing then the tranny will have to be pulled in order to replace the front seal in it
The Dragon is right. Sorry, I never considered the tyranny having motor oil in it. But, from the pic I thought it was for sure from the tranny but listen to him. I always do.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You definitely should not have ATF. It should be either Gear or Motor oil. ATF goes in the TC. If someone took out the correct oil and replaced it with ATF that could be the cause of the problem. Either way it is an easy fix. There is a bearing retainer plate held on by about 10 bolts that the input shaft goes through. Remove that and the seal is right there. Would be wise to look at the clutch while your in there too.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You definitely should not have ATF. It should be either Gear or Motor oil. ATF goes in the TC. If someone took out the correct oil and replaced it with ATF that could be the cause of the problem. Either way it is an easy fix. There is a bearing retainer plate held on by about 10 bolts that the input shaft goes through. Remove that and the seal is right there. Would be wise to look at the clutch while your in there too.
I was told gear oil to put in the transfer case?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should I bring it to the mechanic to get it fixed?

·
Registered
302 Posts
when you find out please update me on what it is. because my jeep is dripping oil from the same place. could it be the rear main seal?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
when you find out please update me on what it is. because my jeep is dripping oil from the same place. could it be the rear main seal?
yes it could be..in fact oil coming from that area is more likely to be rear main seal..not saying that is his problem

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
No matter where it is coming from (according to the picture) the transmission is going to have to come out.While it is out Replace the rear main oil seal (easy) and put a front seal in the tranny.It would also be a great time to inspect the clutch,pressure plate throwout bearing and pilot bearing.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
No matter where it is coming from (according to the picture) the transmission is going to have to come out.While it is out Replace the rear main oil seal (easy) and put a front seal in the tranny.It would also be a great time to inspect the clutch,pressure plate throwout bearing and pilot bearing.
x2

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes it could be..in fact oil coming from that area is more likely to be rear main seal..not saying that is his problem
Upon further investigation, the leak seems to be way higher up and dripping down the side of the tranny

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Looks just like mine does right now, I checked the vc gasket and it is dry at the back.Once I got the tranny out I could see where the rear main was leaking and the flywheel was slinging oil all over the place.I also had some gear oil coming from the front of the tranny.The seals dont cost that much a whole bunch cheaper than a clutch .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts