Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like I spun my rear drive shaft on a rock last weekend. This section appears to be a thin outer shell and not a structural part of the shaft. Is it structural? Is my shaft toast?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Lol. Mine looks exactly like this after hanging it up on a ledge last Saturday.

Did you tear your boot and is there any vibration?

I knew mine was living on borrowed time with my current set up, and, on Saturday, I dented it up, tore the boot, and have vibration at 60+ mph so replacement is warranted.

Brown santa is bringing me a Tom Woods 1350 shaft with sealed bearing u joints on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boot is good. I blew the bead on a front tire as well. Had a very minor vibration that seemed to go away or I just got used to it. I assumed the tire was out of balance. Drive home 2 hrs at 75. Haven't been up to speed since. I'll get the tire balanced and make a test run.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping there was a solid shaft inside. If it's hallow it's pretty comprised. Its dented pretty good and it looks like I removed a fair amount of metal.

·
Registered
719 Posts
A thin solid driveshaft would bend easier and be more prone to high-frequency vibrations.

You should see the DS in my Silverado 2500HD, the thing is aluminum, 2x that diameter, and about 6 feet long. It's a monster.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
replace asap. If you ever seen those driveshafts that get twisted like a piece of twine it happens because they get a weak spot just like yours has now. Also no way that won't be out of balance and that can cause your T/C to gernade.

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
Yeah it’s a tube, so it IS structural. Don’t buy a new OEM, get a takeoff on Craigslist or an aftermarket DS from Adams or Tom Wood’s for the same price.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. Did some reading, watched some videos, and have a new shaft on order.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks everyone. Did some reading, watched some videos, and have a new shaft on order.

Good move. In addition to the other comments, if it did happen to fail at speed and contact the ground, major destruction could result if it caught a road seam. Like blow the diff/axle off or flip the vehicle. Not even remotely worth the risk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts