Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to re-gear my 4 door sport soon. Needs some advice from people with limited slips. Preferably Auburn HPS or Eaton TrueTrac

Currently, I have:
2017 JKU Sport which is my daily driver
3.21 gear ratio
33 inch tires
90% road/daily driver / 10% dirt

Looking to do:
4.56 gears
Limited slip in the rear. Keeping the front open

I am mainly torn on which LSD to get, the two I am considering being the Auburn clutch based type, and the Eaton helical TrueTrac.

My understanding is this:
1. The Eaton is worse for a daily driver, useless when a tire is in the air, overall good performance
2. The Auburn is better for a daily driver but takes some getting used to. higher chance of maintenance

Please correct me if any of the information is wrong, I really just want to know 1. what LSD you have 2. your driving type as a percentage (10% rock crawler and 90% daily driver) 3. your weather patterns (3 months of snow/ice, 9 months of dry season)

any advice or knowledge is always appreciated. Please keep in mind I have some technical know-how but i am no expert

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Eaton all the way, helical gear set, no need for pad replacement or special friction addative oil. I have rear but I also want to do the front instead of a locker for wheeling

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I've got an auburn limited slip/locker combo. It's a great limited slip off road. A few situations where I've still had to use the full locker but far less than I thought I'd have. But on road I actually think a limited slip is worse than open / selectable locker. They usually keep the roads fairly plowed here in Chicagoland. What that means is not a ton of snow to get stuck in, but a lot of slick road conditions. I find the rear end fishtails a lot more with the lsd than with an open diff. And I've actually had to use both front and rear lockers ON ROAD lol, just to keep straight. Going up an icy, slow steep drive.

When there is a decent amount of unplowed snow on the road, I find the handling improves actually.

If I had to do it over again, I'd go full selectable arb air locker, but for the on road, not off, oddly enough. I don't get to wheel a ton but the limited slip is still going fine for me after 30k miles. I love my front arb air locker btw.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eaton all the way, helical gear set, no need for pad replacement or special friction addative oil. I have rear but I also want to do the front instead of a locker for wheeling
What kind of driving do you do? Whats teh weather like where you live (year round)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got an auburn limited slip/locker combo. It's a great limited slip off road. A few situations where I've still had to use the full locker but far less than I thought I'd have. But on road I actually think a limited slip is worse than open / selectable locker. They usually keep the roads fairly plowed here in Chicagoland. What that means is not a ton of snow to get stuck in, but a lot of slick road conditions. I find the rear end fishtails a lot more with the lsd than with an open diff. And I've actually had to use both front and rear lockers ON ROAD lol, just to keep straight. Going up an icy, slow steep drive.

When there is a decent amount of unplowed snow on the road, I find the handling improves actually.

If I had to do it over again, I'd go full selectable arb air locker, but for the on road, not off, oddly enough. I don't get to wheel a ton but the limited slip is still going fine for me after 30k miles. I love my front arb air locker btw.
So would you attribute the handling to the LSD type or just the LSD in general? Would you recommend that I dont get a LSD at all if my driving is like 90% road 10% dirt

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have seen complaints about turning with the TT. What do you have to say?
What are the pros and cons of the TT to you
Interesting, no complaints on turning... what are people saying? Can you link me to these complaints.

Is this turning on either icy, dry, wet roads specifically?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, no complaints on turning... what are people saying? Can you link me to these complaints.

Is this turning on either icy, dry, wet roads specifically?
most complaints i have seen about turning have been dry pavement, or when accelerating during a turn. also, do you notice any noise?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I don't know what the complaints about the TTs are. Heck I drive the JK like a sports car at times having fun on the clover-leaf on-ramps. Even had the wife asking "aren't you afraid of tipping?" haha. And she drives her '14 Mustang GT like she stoled it. I have taken slow turns with the steering wheel maxed both left and right. Pavement, dirt, mud, snow, slick etc etc etc.

The only "con" is that it is not recommended to use lube with friction additive in it, which is getting harder to find every day. If it states "friction modifier needs to be added" or "top off LSD only" then it's good to go. I have found MOPAR $$$, autozone, Champion Brands and just found Valvoline High Performance Lube that are usable.

The bit about the tire in the air is easy to overcome with a bit of brake.

The only maintenance I do is change the lube every 20k because I am using AutoZone 140 lube because I tow and not the fond of store label brands.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
We have an Eaton Truetrac in the back and an E locker in the front. Rarely use the E locker. The Truetrac is all but invisible on the street. If you turn really tight you may hear some chirps from the tires, but it does not affect you turning. It drives perfectly normal. If you get hard on the gas it will spin the tires, but I assume if you are hard on the gas you would be expecting that.
While the clutch based LSD / locker from Auburn is interesting, I like that the Truetrac has no parts that are designed to wear out over time causing a decrease in performance, Our Jeep had a clutch based LSD in it from the factory, we were replacing it to get away from a clutch based LSD.
I do wish we had gone with a Truetrac in the front as well, that was the original plan. It is also what my sister in-laws Jeep has. It works brilliantly. But when we changed our plan to include swapping in a used D44 from a Rubi there was no money left to swap the E locker the Rubi axle came with for a front Truetrac. Maybe one day I will make the happen, as it does work really well. I can't imaging re-gearing the front axle and not upgrading to either a Truetrac or some other form of traction improving device. Leaving an open diff in the front if you are re-gearing doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
So would you attribute the handling to the LSD type or just the LSD in general? Would you recommend that I dont get a LSD at all if my driving is like 90% road 10% dirt
Well I've talked to other people who said the same thing about an lsd in slick/icy conditions, so I'd say the lsd in general.

I wouldn't say don't get the lsd if you're on the road a lot, but I would say don't get it if you're on roads that are almost always plowed. I just don't see the benefit. Might as well get a full locker back there for if you're off road, or if you get really stuck somewhere when they didn't plow.

Now if you're out in the boonies and driving miles and miles of unplowed country roads, I could see the benefit of the lsd on road there. Especially since you wouldn't want to be activating or using a full locker at speed.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Unless your wheeling very hard and dedicated to getting yourself in tight spots, go LSD as its dual purpose for daily driving and moderate offroading.

Those complaints I hear are insignificant.

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
Looking to do:
4.56 gears
Limited slip in the rear. Keeping the front open

My understanding is this:
1. The Eaton is worse for a daily driver, useless when a tire is in the air, overall good performance

Please correct me if any of the information is wrong, I really just want to know 1. what LSD you have 2. your driving type as a percentage (10% rock crawler and 90% daily driver) 3. your weather patterns (3 months of snow/ice, 9 months of dry season)
If you are re-gearing I'd put a LSD up from too.

Eaton is just fine for a DD, You won't notice it.

I had TrueTrac's front & rear in my TJ, used as a daily driver in Chicago. It was fantastic, I'd highly recommend the Eaton.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Sounds like I:
Should get a LSD
Should get the TT

Would there be any reason NOT to get a LSD
The only reason I know of to NOT get an LSD like a Truetrac is if you would rather have a locker. It comes down to how you wheel. If you do harder trails and tend to put one wheel up in the air, a locker may be better for you. But for a more "weekend wheeler" type an LSD like the Truetrac might be better. The Auburn LSD / Locker option is interesting, but I wish it was not a clutch based LSD. That means it will wear the clutches and become less of an LSD over time at which point you will need to have it serviced. The Mechanical LSD of a Truetrac is a lifetime LSD, no parts to wear out over time and reduce the effectiveness of it.
As mentioned, we have a Truetrac in back and an E locker in the front. The Truetrac is far more useful for us, both on road and off. It is always there, waiting for it to be needed. The locker requires you to activate it. That may be an advantage for some, but for us and the way we wheel it is a disadvantage.
But in the end, the only bad option in my opinion is to not upgrade the diffs to some sort of traction improving device while you are in there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
2016 2dr JK TT front and rear
Regeared from 3.21 to 4.56
DD and week-end wheeler
35’’ KO2 all year long
90% road 10% trails
Canadian winters...
Handles great in all conditions!
You won’t regret it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts