Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to order wheels soon but want to stay with the 16"/7". I only find steel wheels of this size with 4" of backpacking, wanting only 4 1/2" or 5" of backpacking. I would do the 5" of backpacking but I can only find that with 16"/8" wheel. Why you ask? Cause I'm sticking with the 225/75/16 tire. Don't freak out on me, I have tried a bigger size and could not stand how it drove with the manual and 3:21's. I am running Toyo AT's and love how it drives but according to charts I shouldn't mount the tire on anything wider than the 7". Will be doing just a leveling kit soon and know I don't NEED less backpacking. Someday I will be re-gearing for larger tires when I become more educated on what I am capable of doing with MY JEEP. Till then, how different will the jeep drive with a wider stance? I try and off-road at least once a week so everything I do to my jeep will be for practicable and capable reasons. So far the stock jeep has done more than what I'm capable of doing.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
I am having the same issue. I replaced my 225/75's-16 with 245/75-16's on the way home from my dealer and I really like how the 245/75's perform on the street (exactly like the 225's did). I also have 3.21 and auto am trying to find a decent looking 16X7 rim.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've got the 245/70/r 16 on my factory rims and it seems to ride just fine down the highway. The 70's are about 10" wide but the rim is 7" inch i think. It allows me to let most of the air out my tires for better trackin in the sand.the only bad thing about it was that it dropped my gas mileage about 3-4 miles per gal

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the correction

My only issue with the larger tire was at hwy speeds and hills. Even the smallest hill it would start to bogg.

With a 4 inch bs, that gives me almost a 5" wider stance from both wheels, just not sure on the handling characteristic this would bring.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If u put a 4" spacer behind. the only thing u have to watch for is it weakins ur lugs if u do alot of hardcore playing. The jeeps are known to be top heavy. The say its better to widen the stans if u put a big lift on it to stabilize it
My Jeeps a 6 speed and i don't have to down shift going down the highway. Which motor do u have in ur

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the 3.6 and I do a lot of hwy driving (live 30 miles from town) and with bigger tires it just bothered the hell out of me. I don't want spacers, just wondering what the jeep drives like with a wider stance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ya same here about 25 miles one way to work. They do bog a little going through town. Have to down shift and up shift but the highway there not all that bad. I can run 70 with no shifting or any other problems. I didn't care to much for the real wide tires ether for that reason. But they were cheap i bought them off my brother

·
Registered
501 Posts
I cant say for sure, but it seems to me the only real difference you'd notice on the street as far as drivability would be a little more stability while turning. I dont know where that would place your tires under the fenders but maybe a little more water spray in the rain???

·
Registered
60 Posts
Its kinda funny, but It increased my mileage 2 miles per gal when i installed my xrc mod bumper. Don't know if its more aroedynamic or its just lighter than the factory bumper

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
squirrel792 said:
It puts them out to at least the edge of my fenders. not to far out there
Is this with backspaceing of the wheel or spacers? And what's the backspace of the wheel or what size spacer?

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's with no spacers of any sort. Just the 10" wide tires. If that's what ur looking for look into a 70 on ur middle number of the tire size

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
You've got the 3.6L and 225/75-16 tires? Holy crap, that thing should feel like it's got unlimited power. Even with 3.21s you should have absolutely no problem using a 245/75-16 tire. The 225s are TINY.. do yourself a favor and throw them away. I sold 6 of those stock 225s for $300 with no miles on them just to get rid of them.

Actually, if I was you I'd do 265/75-16 on the stock wheels and call it a day.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
squirrel792 said:
That's with no spacers of any sort. Just the 10" wide tires. If that's what ur looking for look into a 70 on ur middle number of the tire size
No, not really.

I still have the stock steelies but I plasti-dip them to get me by. Now I want new wheels, just some plain black ones but I want to go with some backspacing. I'm wondering if a wheel with a 4" backspace is to much with the stock 225/75/16 tire. And how that bs changes the handling. I'll lift it before next summer then a re-gear for bigger tires.........but that's later

·
Registered
60 Posts
I thought about having my factory rims powder coated. I think it would look alright, but they can't do the center caps there plastic

1 - 20 of 22 Posts