Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed a new lift on my 95 and have a nasty rear driveline vibration. I have stock NP231 (no sye) stock driveshaft and stock Dana 35. I know my pinion angles are off because of this. The rear diff is pointed at the t case because of the wedges in the new spring packs. I would like to do an sye and double Cardon shaft but don't have the cash right now. So here is my question- does a double Cardon shaft exist that doesn't require a sye? Any input on this matter would be great!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I do have a t case drop installed. I haven't measured the pinion angles yet but they are visibly out quite a bit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm not aware of a double Cardon shaft that wouldn't require the SYE, but are you close enough in angle that shims under the leaf packs could be an inexpensive short term solition?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not aware of a double Cardon shaft that wouldn't require the SYE, but are you close enough in angle that shims under the leaf packs could be an inexpensive short term solition?
That's what I've been considering. I am going to get an angle guage and find out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The lift is 2.5 inch skyjacker sport kit. Comes with wedges installed for the rear springs but they appear to be doing too much. Just by eye the transfer case to driveshaft looks straight and the driveshaft to rear diff looks a few degrees out

·
Registered
60 Posts
Possible. You may have to experiment. Being that this is a "temporary" fix, you can play with the pinion angle to get desired results. There's some good writeups on measuring this - even diagrams, all over the Web. I'm actually in the exact same boat - wicked vibes from 30-35 mph. Since its only my weekend rig, I'll live with it until I spring for the SYE in a couple weeks. Deals on the SYE setups abound on ebay and Craigslist. If this is your DD, I would address this asap so you don't turn your Jeep into a human catapult. You should be able to get within 1-3 degrees by finessing the tcase drop and/or shims.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: the wedges that came installed on the skyjacker sport 2.5" lift rear springs were 8°. Don't ask me why. That seems to only be necessary on a lift of somewhere between 5 and 7 inches. Anyway took them out and problem solved. Pinion angles are all good now and no more vibrations

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just did a 2-1/2 inch lift on mine. The salesman said I didn't need a SYE or driveshaft. After I got it all together I wouldn't take it out of the yard till I did the SYE and got a new shaft. Looked to me like it would break first time I really needed to get on it. I would rather help someone else than them having to help me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts