Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how much slack/play in the front driveshaft is normal?

I'm asking as I have been getting a soft clunk sound when I accelerate (don't notice it always but often). It sounds like it is coming from the center, maybe slightly to the rear of the Jeep. I checked under the Jeep and there is no play in the rear driveshaft, but there is some in the front driveshaft.

It is in 2wd when the noise is happening (haven't tried it in 4wd yet as it is summer) so I am lost as to what is causing it - I figured it was some play in the rear shaft.

Thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, mine is an automatic, does that make a difference at all?

I've never owned another vehicle that made so many noises as this thing.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I get this same noise/feel too in my automatic. Haven't had if for awhile but it happens. I have to put it in neutral and see if its the rear driveshaft. I only have 12,000 on mine so I can't see it being u-joint or anything

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yea. 2010 jeep shouldnt need ball joints. U-joint another story if he been out wheeling it. But usually U-joints when they begin to go bad. Sounds like a bunch of birds chirping under the jeep. Mine were completely broken on rear DL so they did clunk. Had the whole CV replaced was $160 at DL shop

·
Super Moderator
53,782 Posts
Yea. 2010 jeep shouldnt need ball joints. U-joint another story if he been out wheeling it. But usually U-joints when they begin to go bad. Sounds like a bunch of birds chirping under the jeep. Mine were completely broken on rear DL so they did clunk. Had the whole CV replaced was $160 at DL shop
Haha... The JK's ball joints suck.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't had it out wheelin but I did buy it used. I can't imagine it was offroad much if at all though as it is in pretty pristine shape and was all stock when i bought it two months ago. It has 65k miles on it now.

·
Registered
666 Posts
just watch a JK wheeling video or five (the ones who don't add music) and you'll hear the common sound they make, or listen to other folks on the trail --- just so you have a reference noise to compare yours maybe

edit- to be clear, i'm talking about the driveline slack noise

·
Super Moderator
53,782 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dumb question but what u joints are you guys tslking about replacing? Front axle? My rear driveshaft looks like this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts