Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I picked up a 1987 wrangler YJ and I can barely reach to shift. Is there a way to lower the front bracket under seat? I don't consider myself on the short side, I'm 5'5; but for whatever reason the way it tilts back causes me to not be able to touch... My husband (6'1) says that's just the way jeeps are, but you can't possibly expect shorter people to just not drive jeeps...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Quick question: did you try moving the seat further forward? I know it seems like a dumb question, but I just wanted to make sure. Your recliner bracket may also be broken, I broke mine in my original seats, it was permanently stuck in a 1/4 reclined position.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
87 Wranglers have the flip forward driver seats, unless yours were changed out in the past. These are really difficult to modify to shorten the seats.

Later YJs, like my 1995, didn't have the flip feature - it was just two solid brackets. This is easily modified, and I dropped my brackets about 1.5" after I installed aftermarket seats.

Here's a link showing the mod:
YJ seat base mods for suspension seats - MN-Jeep.com Forums

You should be able to find later YJ seat brackets on eBay, if you want to try this.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm 6' 2", I have the rock forward seats in my 90 YJ and I sit with the seats as far as they can go forward, I also have really long arms and in fifth, the shifter is almost out my reach. When trying to find a fix so my wife could drive, I noticed on the bottom of the seats that you can mount the bucket seats on different holes on the sliders, but then again someone installed stock looking steel horse seats, so this may not be the case fr all YJs. Hopefully I have helped, good luck with your problem.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I lowered the front of my seat brackets 1 1/2" and the back 1". With your own welder it isn't that tough a job. 6 cuts, drill two holes and weld up the cuts. Even the locking mechanism still works.

·
Registered
147 Posts
283 YJ, I'm about to tackle the front seat brackets myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll take this to tech section if a better place.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,670 Posts
This might not help reaching the shifter, but it helps my wife push the clutch.
It ain't purdy, but it works.

Mrs. Lucky is 5'4" and doesn't state anything about being able to reach the shifter. Check your seat back and also, check that the seat moves all the way forward.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I could reach the shifter ok, I just wanted an extra four inches so I could style with my gangster lean.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Can't lower the front without major surgery. But you could add spacers to the rear bolts to raise the rear of the bracket.

Welcome to the insanity:drinks:

That’s what I did and it helps somewhat. Whoever designed these things needs to be shot (if they’re still alive).
Sometimes I wonder why I love this thing the way I do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,670 Posts
Sometimes I wonder why I love this thing the way I do...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a love/hate relationship.

My cussword vocabulary has increased since I bought my Jeep.
My bank account has decreased. I wish it was the other way around.

God made me buy the Jeep as punishment on earth for my sins. I sure hope He's satisfied that I've suffered enough by the time I die.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Instructor9

·
Registered
445 Posts
283 YJ, I'm about to tackle the front seat brackets myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll take this to tech section if a better place.
Thanks
I tried several ways to get you the info, but couldn't, so I did a write-up as you suggested, in the tech section.
When you do yours, please feel free to take better photos than I did and add to the instructions.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
This might not help reaching the shifter, but it helps my wife push the clutch.
Lucky, I'm sure that block of wood is helpful for your wife but, you should know that when people watch you driving it every time you shift it looks like you're about to fart.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I saw that for $15 but, mine cost $3.

I spent the difference at the beauty parlor.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
People have been warning me not to drive with windshield folded down.
But you know us 27 year olds don't listen to reason.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts