Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to how many drivers will see if they can clear an obstacle using driving abilities without the assist of disconnects, lockers, 4lo, etc. Yes, I know there are times where if you don't use all the features of our Jeeps we will not make it over or through the obstacles but there are also times when its just easier to let our Jeeps do all the hard work.

I mix it up and do a little of both. I will often try obstacles using only my driving abilities and if I cant make it then I will engage all the switches, buttons and knobs I can find to get through it.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
I have manual disconnects and so once done I don't reconnect until I get back on pavement. The rest is based on my judgement of the terrain immediately in front of me. Steep, then 4LO, big rocks or ruts, then lockers. I have stalled out on steep hills before and it's not my favorite activity. I prefer to err on the side of overkill.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I normally stay in 2wd until I see something I think could be a problem. I have yet to really off road my Jeep since the lift and disconnects, so while I've been on logging roads, I've never really needed 4wd or disconnects. I have no issue with using them if I think they are needed.

A few years ago my wife and I did the White Rim Trail in Moab in a rented Jeep. Other than one sandy section down near the river, I have no doubt we could have done it all in 2wd. I still put it in 4wd whenever there was any type of obstacle that was even questionable. No use tempting fate, right?

As far as winter driving, I stay in 2wd for the most part. Going is one thing. Stopping is another. If I feel I need 4wd just to drive down the road, I probably should just stay home.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
787 Posts
Also keep in mind that sometimes using the abilities of the vehicle, even if not actually needed, can lessen the damage to the trail.

I would much rather use the locker and easily go through something than spin tires and tear the trail up.

Wheeling spots are getting fewer and fewer, and anything that can be done to try and not give reasons to shut a trail down are great by me.

Most of the spots I wheeled in years ago are now either closed off or subdivisions.

I'm all for hitting the trail and having fun, but I want to be able to come back to that trail again in the future.

Of course, if you are in an off road park, Hammer Down!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have used my lockers a few times where I wouldn't have made it over without it.

The swaybar is also useful, I don't use either too much as I don't rock climb that often, since I don't have any 4x4 buddies.

Locker seems to help with the deep thick mud too.

·
Premium Member
9,566 Posts
Also keep in mind that sometimes using the abilities of the vehicle, even if not actually needed, can lessen the damage to the trail.

I would much rather use the locker and easily go through something than spin tires and tear the trail up.

Wheeling spots are getting fewer and fewer, and anything that can be done to try and not give reasons to shut a trail down are great by me.

Most of the spots I wheeled in years ago are now either closed off or subdivisions.

I'm all for hitting the trail and having fun, but I want to be able to come back to that trail again in the future.

Of course, if you are in an off road park, Hammer Down!
I agree. Driving ability is based on using all the capabilities of the vehicle you are driving to there full advantage while doing as little damage to both the trail and the vehicle.

I normally hit 4hi as soon as I am off the pavement. I also will air down at this time if I am heading for the trails. Once I hit the trail sways are disconnected and I am in 4lo with the rear locked. The front gets locked based on need.

Tread lightly should be your guide to using technology.

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
I agree. Driving ability is based on using all the capabilities of the vehicle you are driving to there full advantage while doing as little damage to both the trail and the vehicle.

I normally hit 4hi as soon as I am off the pavement. I also will air down at this time if I am heading for the trails. Once I hit the trail sways are disconnected and I am in 4lo with the rear locked. The front gets locked based on need.

Tread lightly should be your guide to using technology.
I pretty much do what Terry does, other than I don't lock either axle until I need them at obstacles. Altho on really tough trails I will run the entire trail locked front and rear if needed - all depends on the trail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts