Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all 3 above listed codes as well as the P0300 general misfire codes.

I removed and rebuilt my 3.6L that had blown a head gasket. The Jeep had a 130K on it and I must admit looked great, could still lightly see the hone cross hatch as well as the ink stamped bearing class on all the bearing surfaces that contact the crank. If went back with standard size rings and bearings. I also had the TIPM disconnected during this process. I started it up and got the check engine light with the codes listed and of course it runs rough. The injectors are connected and there is no way all 3 injectors went bad sitting there so my problem has to be upstream. I am going to check the wiring harness to make sure it did not get damaged. Has anyone had this happen, do you know if there is a different relays or fuses for the left and right side fuel injectors. If harness is good then I guess my problem will be TIPM or control module.

Just as an fyi I double checked and triple checked the timing marks on everything before I put it together and have even looked at the picture I took plus the fuel injector codes lead me to believe that would not be the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I'd really suspect that something got damaged on the common power to that bank's fuel injectors. First thing is just make sure everything is plugged in. I am pretty sure there is a small harness for that bank, at least that is what the factory wiring diagram indicates.

·
Retired Moderator
100,629 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it now has P2305, P2311 and P2317 along with the others. So after that I took the intake off and checked and made sure everything was on good and looked for any damage to the wiring harness and could not visually see any. I had also put new coils and plugs in when I rebuilt the motor so I put the old ones back on. Cleared codes started up and same codes come up. Sounds like I may need to take it in to a shop and let someone with better OBD2 scanning equipment check it. Does anyone know if you can send your TIPM in and have it checked?

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Those codes (P2305, P2311 and P2317 ) are related to coils 2, 4, 6. Shorted or open coil circuits is one of the reasons.

There is a small harness that is for coils, injectors on cylinders 2,4,6. All the codes you have are related to the wires that go through that harness. Are you sure that plug for that harness is seated correctly?

injector jk harness.jpg

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
That connector for that small harness also has engine oil temp , engine oil pressure, and knock sensor in it. Any chance you have codes for that?

Here is the pin out for that fat plug in that drawing that I just posted.

injector jk plug.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great info guys I appreciate the help and suggestions. Yes new orings as they were in my Fel-Pro complete gasket kit. I do not have codes for the oil temp, knock sensors or oil pressure. I will try taking the connector loose on the passenger side valve cover in the diagram you sent (great info Sequel) and reconnecting it. I will trace down the upside of that connector and check that as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just want to close this post out as I resolved the issue. It was the harness connector on the valve cover that was shown above. The wire pins had gotten pushed back. I had to push the white piece inside the connector down and snap it back in and then pull the pins back through.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Those codes (P2305, P2311 and P2317 ) are related to coils 2, 4, 6. Shorted or open coil circuits is one of the reasons.

There is a small harness that is for coils, injectors on cylinders 2,4,6. All the codes you have are related to the wires that go through that harness. Are you sure that plug for that harness is seated correctly?

View attachment 4196871
Where’d you find that drawing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just want to close this post out as I resolved the issue. It was the harness connector on the valve cover that was shown above. The wire pins had gotten pushed back. I had to push the white piece inside the connector down and snap it back in and then pull the pins back through.
I'm having this same problem after changing the oil pressure sensor. it was running BBAADD... I saw this post and unplugged the injector harness and plugged it back again. It started running close to normal.. I can tell it's still having issues and still throwing the 02 04 and 06 codes. you mentioned you had to push the white piece inside the connector down and pull the pins back through. What did you use to push things back together? Did you notice the pins were different in some way? Mine all appear to be at the same length. thanks for posting this problem//solution as i'm sure this is my issue but would rather not buy a new harness.

·
Retired Moderator
100,629 Posts
I'm having this same problem after changing the oil pressure sensor. it was running BBAADD... I saw this post and unplugged the injector harness and plugged it back again. It started running close to normal.. I can tell it's still having issues and still throwing the 02 04 and 06 codes. you mentioned you had to push the white piece inside the connector down and pull the pins back through. What did you use to push things back together? Did you notice the pins were different in some way? Mine all appear to be at the same length. thanks for posting this problem//solution as i'm sure this is my issue but would rather not buy a new harness.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used a large slot screwdriver to push the inside white piece down while i used needle nose pliers to pull the wire spades back through. The wire were at slightly different lengths to begin with, but not by much. It took me several trys of putting it together and starting it before and doing it all over again before I finally got it. Has been running good now for over 4000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
so you pulled the spades through... the connector piece closer to the front of the jeep. I don't see them at all... they are buried within the plastic holder. Should I see them?? When you were done, did they protrude from the piece or were they flush?
thanks again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I cannot remember whether it was the front side of the connector or the firewall side ( i think it was the rear plug and I pulled the pins towards front of jeep), but yes I pulled the wire pins / spades so that they were sticking out of the white piece and as I pulled them they felt like they "snaped into position in the white piece. Like I said not sure which side as it has been a while, but it was the side with the male pins that stick through the inside white plastic block that holds the wire pins. The white piece inside was loose and had pulled up and it was not locked into the outer part of the connector (this is why I had to do it several times). Once i pushed it down with the screw driver I heard it snap as it locked into place. I then pulled the wire pins until they were all sticking out the same amonut while holding down on the white piece to make sure that it did not pop out. Once I did this it worked and I did not have to take it apart again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for that info. I checked my connector and all of the pins were seated. I think there may have been a wire or two that were pulled back out of the connector and not seated properly(?) I pushed the wires back into the connectors (both sides), erased the codes, and fired it up with no errors. All good!

I now have a P2173... but it runs and I no longer have missing / miss-fires. i'm back on track. Thanks @sequel for the diagrams and @Patrickcline63 for the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for that info. I checked my connector and all of the pins were seated. I think there may have been a wire or two that were pulled back out of the connector and not seated properly(?) I pushed the wires back into the connectors (both sides), erased the codes, and fired it up with no errors. All good!

I now have a P2173... but it runs and I no longer have missing / miss-fires. i'm back on track. Thanks @sequel for the diagrams and @Patrickcline63 for the help.
Glad it worked out and you got it going!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts