Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I finally brought the jeep into the dealership for my torn driveshaft boot. They found the charcoal canister bracket bent also. All are getting replaced under warranty. But I'm looking to see what the hell I need to prevent this from happening again. Currently 2014 jku with Tera flex 2.5 lift on 35 km2s. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Relocation bracket. Move the evap canister over the rear axel. Or get a reinforced skid plate for the evap.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I did the same thing. I saw a three on here about just moving the skid over about an inch and it would resolve the issue. Another option is to get an aftermarket shaft that is smaller in diameter.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Either a relocation kit or Teraflex has a video where they move the evap canister over a couple of inches and is a simple fix & keeps it in the stock location.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Is this a problem with 2013's? I looked at mine and it looks like there is plenty of space in between. Its easy enough to do the teraflex mod but I am wondering if I really need to.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I have an '08 JKUR but from what I'm reading on the newer models the stock evap skid plate rubs the rubber boot on he DS as the Jeep flexes.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I have an '08 JKUR but from what I'm reading on the newer models the stock evap skid plate rubs the rubber boot on he DS as the Jeep flexes.
This is exactly what happens. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I tore my stock DS boot on some rocks but never on the evap can. On the Rubicon a few weeks ago a boulder found that recycled beer can evap guard and crushed the canister. I looked hard at relocating it, but didn't want to mess with the emission system at all in case of future smog check issues.

I went with Poison Spyder evap skid. WAY beefier than stock and it raises the whole setup up about 3/4".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tore my stock DS boot on some rocks but never on the evap can. On the Rubicon a few weeks ago a boulder found that recycled beer can evap guard and crushed the canister. I looked hard at relocating it, but didn't want to mess with the emission system at all in case of future smog check issues.

I went with Poison Spyder evap skid. WAY beefier than stock and it raises the whole setup up about 3/4".

is the skid further away from shaft than the stock bracket. last thing i want is the shaft to strike that beefy of a skid.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
is the skid further away from shaft than the stock bracket. last thing i want is the shaft to strike that beefy of a skid.
I was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The center side of the skid looks to be about the same place as stock. But it is further off the ground so it may give more clearance

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I've been doing a butt ton of research. On this matter. My drivers side tire sticks out 1.5 further than passenger tire. While sitting still the driveshaft sits about .5 inches away from the bracket. If I'm not mistaken wasn't the rear axle trackbar bracket supposed to center everything? I was watching the install of 2.5 coil lift. And they were installing a frame side one also? Did the people at jeep screw something up?

·
Registered
970 Posts
It appears so. The axle should be centered and it is the track bar that does it. When you lift, without correction the axle will be pulled to the driver side. A bracket or adjustable bar will work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So teraflex is that jacked up. Funny thing is when watching there videos they say the relocation bracket that comes in the kit centers the axle. And looking at the kit on their website there product pictures show different brackets. One is with the axle side trackbar bracket and the other is with the frame side trackbar bracket. Mine only has the axle side. Quite puzzled when looking up the frame side one the install video for it is the axle side bracket

·
Registered
970 Posts
Its been awhile since I installed my AEV setup, but think there is only the axle side rear track bar bracket...no frame side...Huh?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No clue man. Everything on the net is conflicting. Waiting on teraflex to contact me. Also looks like the trackbar bracket I do have slid on the axle about an inch or so. If that's possible

·
Registered
213 Posts
I remember seeing a video that Taraflex made about this issue on the 2012-2015 models. Seems that after yiu lift it at full flex the rear ds boot makes contact with the OEM Evap skid. They had a simple solution to this buy driing and just shifting the skid over a few inches.

Here is the video.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jkfLGjzH7Z4

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
So I've been doing a butt ton of research. On this matter. My drivers side tire sticks out 1.5 further than passenger tire. While sitting still the driveshaft sits about .5 inches away from the bracket. If I'm not mistaken wasn't the rear axle trackbar bracket supposed to center everything? I was watching the install of 2.5 coil lift. And they were installing a frame side one also? Did the people at jeep screw something up?
If you're talking rear, it'll move to passenger side as you lift. Front goes to driver side. Unless I'm mistaken.

Still the bracket should have centered it.

·
Registered
970 Posts
MYJK, that is a great idea you posted! I got away for almost 2 years without caving the stock evap can guard, but granite finally found it on the Rubicon...That's why I went with the PS guard....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts