Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, I am having my shop put on the 4.5'' AEV RS lift and having them regear it as well to 5.13.

I have noticed many members have stated that they have changed out their drive shaft after putting on a 4.5'' lift.

Any recommendations as to what driveshaft to use or if this is really necessary to do? If so, please let me know which brand driveshaft did you buy and how is the quality. Also please let me know model number so I can get a price quote from these companies. Thank you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This directly from the AEV 3.5/4.5 Lift FAQ

Do I need to change my drive shafts to use your kit?

On all pre-2012 JKs equipped with automatic transmissions, you will need to replace your front driveshaft with a narrower unit.

On all pre-2012 JKs equipped with manual transmissions, you will not need to replace your front driveshaft.

On all 2012+ JKs equipped with automatic or manual transmissions, you will not need to replace your front driveshaft.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 31 January 2017 06:51

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Why 4.5 inches? The stock drivetrain is going to be quite unhappy, as I suspect will be your steering. There is really no need for that much lift on stock axles. Stock axles even on a four door aren't made to deal with those kind of angles. 3.5 is more than enough on a four door, flat fenders if you want to make it look higher and/or get more wheel clearance. Bigger isn't always better, especially when it comes to lifting Jeeps on stock axles.
And with drop brackets much less? Assuming with 5.13 gears you are going to 37s - 3.5 lift would be more suited. Or do you already have aftermarket axles? They deal with steeper driveline a bit better.

No the lift it won't immediately implode your driveshaft, but it's useful days are dramatically reduced.

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This directly from the AEV 3.5/4.5 Lift FAQ

Do I need to change my drive shafts to use your kit?

On all pre-2012 JKs equipped with automatic transmissions, you will need to replace your front driveshaft with a narrower unit.

On all pre-2012 JKs equipped with manual transmissions, you will not need to replace your front driveshaft.

On all 2012+ JKs equipped with automatic or manual transmissions, you will not need to replace your front driveshaft.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 31 January 2017 06:51

Good to know that I don't need to change my driveshaft other than some exhaust modification with a Y pipe which my shop already did. Thanks brother!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I know plenty of AEV lifts on 12+ that go off road and have no issues with the driveshafts. The exhaust mod is needed and is simple to do. Not to say you could not have problems but I know guys that wheel way harder than most and they have not had issues.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yep - I own an AEV with a 3.5" lift and spend lots of time off road, in the rocks, etc. No drive shaft issues at 6000 miles.

From my research prior to buying my Jeep, it appears that many of the driveshaft concerns predate 2012. Much of the "you will destroy your driveshaft" is just people repeating what they have heard over the years but have little firsthand current knowledge of.

That said - if you intend to regularly take your 4.5" lift into difficult terrain that requires maximum suspension travel, crawling over boulders, etc. you should think twice about stock driveshafts (as well as an entire list of other components). At a minimum, make checking the boots part of regular maintenance as torn boots and joints running dry are a key factor in drive shaft failure.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Was wheeling last weekend on rocks here and had one person on the run grenade their stock front driveshaft. 3.5" lift and 35s. Actually tore the cv joint apart during articulation. Was not fun the rest of the way in 2wd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep - I own an AEV with a 3.5" lift and spend lots of time off road, in the rocks, etc. No drive shaft issues at 6000 miles.

From my research prior to buying my Jeep, it appears that many of the driveshaft concerns predate 2012. Much of the "you will destroy your driveshaft" is just people repeating what they have heard over the years but have little firsthand current knowledge of.

That said - if you intend to regularly take your 4.5" lift into difficult terrain that requires maximum suspension travel, crawling over boulders, etc. you should think twice about stock driveshafts (as well as an entire list of other components). At a minimum, make checking the boots part of regular maintenance as torn boots and joints running dry are a key factor in drive shaft failure.

Thank you for clarifying your experience brother. I plan to do little to no off-roading with this vehicle. It is mainly a show car and It is a daily driver for street and highway. But just for my peace of mind, I ordered front and rear 1350 driveshaft today and I will have the shop put it on.

Another question, regarding Axles that that the moderator [mommymallcrawler] had stated above, do I really need to upgrade my axles? (Money is not an issue for me to upgrading anything on the this JK) But is it really necessary for me to spend 3500 on rear axle and 7000 on front axle?

I don't want opinionated feedback please. I know this is the internet and the forums are full of, " I think or I assume or I heard...". I would like feedback from members with similar experiences and knowledge. If 4.5'' lift was so bad then these big companies would not make it, such as a reputable company as AEV which Mopar/Fiat-Chrysler stands by it and installs it in their service center.

If you have never installed a product and go by what he said/she said and now you believe that its not the best fit, then please stop commenting on these posts. Its very subjective and discouraging and most members will just ignore what you have to say.

My rubicon has what? Dana 44 front and rear? Do I need to go Dana 60 front and rear? I just did the yukon regear to 5.13 and I have a RIPP supercharger installed. Can anyone with 3.5''/4.5'' lift & 37inch tires chime in on this?

Thank you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm hoping that others chime in as well.

You're asking the right questions. For your purpose of a street driven show vehicle you do not need to upgrade axles.

Because we're talking AEV specifically, I would point out that AEV offers 37" tires as a standard option on the JK350 with 4.5" lift. Of key importance - this vehicle comes with the factory warranty and the AEV 3 year warranty. I ask you, if the Dana 44 axles were doomed to failure would the vehicle be produced and offered under warranty?

Others will point out that AEV offers a range of axle upgrades... and most shops and Jeepers recommend HD running gear for 37" tires. There is no doubt you create a larger margin for error by including the strongest driveline and suspension hardware. Need versus want.

In the end, It's easy for all of us to make recommendations and spend other people's money. An honest appraisal of the real intended use of the vehicle will be the best starting point for what is absolutely required.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Why 4.5 inches? The stock drivetrain is going to be quite unhappy, as I suspect will be your steering. There is really no need for that much lift on stock axles. Stock axles even on a four door aren't made to deal with those kind of angles. 3.5 is more than enough on a four door, flat fenders if you want to make it look higher and/or get more wheel clearance. Bigger isn't always better, especially when it comes to lifting Jeeps on stock axles.
And with drop brackets much less? Assuming with 5.13 gears you are going to 37s - 3.5 lift would be more suited. Or do you already have aftermarket axles? They deal with steeper driveline a bit better.

No the lift it won't immediately implode your driveshaft, but it's useful days are dramatically reduced.
Because he wants 4.5 inches of lift. I must have missed the part in your post about drive shafts.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Stock axles are fine for 90% of jeep owners. You can run into some difficulty balancing camber and pinion angle but AEV has designed their kit to work. Your steering will be fine as well due to the included high steer kit.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thank you for clarifying your experience brother. I plan to do little to no off-roading with this vehicle. It is mainly a show car and It is a daily driver for street and highway. But just for my peace of mind, I ordered front and rear 1350 driveshaft today and I will have the shop put it on.

Another question, regarding Axles that that the moderator [mommymallcrawler] had stated above, do I really need to upgrade my axles? (Money is not an issue for me to upgrading anything on the this JK) But is it really necessary for me to spend 3500 on rear axle and 7000 on front axle?

I don't want opinionated feedback please. I know this is the internet and the forums are full of, " I think or I assume or I heard...". I would like feedback from members with similar experiences and knowledge. If 4.5'' lift was so bad then these big companies would not make it, such as a reputable company as AEV which Mopar/Fiat-Chrysler stands by it and installs it in their service center.

If you have never installed a product and go by what he said/she said and now you believe that its not the best fit, then please stop commenting on these posts. Its very subjective and discouraging and most members will just ignore what you have to say.

My rubicon has what? Dana 44 front and rear? Do I need to go Dana 60 front and rear? I just did the yukon regear to 5.13 and I have a RIPP supercharger installed. Can anyone with 3.5''/4.5'' lift & 37inch tires chime in on this?

Thank you.
Some moderators will criticize everything and anything that doesn't match their own vehicle. They don't care about your usage or pocket book. Definitely get other opinions. They question the need and desires if it doesn't mirror their own.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Stock axles are fine for 90% of jeep owners. You can run into some difficulty balancing camber and pinion angle but AEV has designed their kit to work. Your steering will be fine as well due to the included high steer kit.
Oops meant caster.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Some moderators will criticize everything and anything that doesn't match their own vehicle. They don't care about your usage or pocket book. Definitely get other opinions. They question the need and desires if it doesn't mirror their own.
You really need to READ what I wrote. I merely said stock axles have difficulty with proper caster angles for that high of a lift. That is FACT. Geez.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You really need to READ what I wrote. I merely said stock axles have difficulty with proper caster angles for that high of a lift. That is FACT. Geez.
No, you questioned his "need" for 4.5 inches. You state that he should be perfectly fine with 3.5 inches. AEV which has to warranty it is saying it is okay, but you are telling someone that it isn't. What experience do you have that is better than AEV?

Also, he already added the 4.5" lift, and he was asking about drive shafts, but your advice is remove the 4.5" and change it to a 3.5", and get flat fenders.

Everything you state you think is a fact, when in fact it is your very biased opinion.

He said he is not wheeling it. He is buying a kit, and they aren't requiring any drive shaft upgrade, and they are willing to warranty it. who would most people trust.

Now that's a fact.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like the Adam woods for front and rear. Very easy to install and takes vibrations away. I have read on this forum that they can rust pretty fast, but I can just keep an eye on it. The aev is a great lift. My advice get the 8 control arms adjustable. The relocations are kinda crappy in my opinion and left my front with a 0-1 degree caster

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
No, you questioned his "need" for 4.5 inches. You state that he should be perfectly fine with 3.5 inches. AEV which has to warranty it is saying it is okay, but you are telling someone that it isn't. What experience do you have that is better than AEV?

Also, he already added the 4.5" lift, and he was asking about drive shafts, but your advice is remove the 4.5" and change it to a 3.5", and get flat fenders.

Everything you state you think is a fact, when in fact it is your very biased opinion.

He said he is not wheeling it. He is buying a kit, and they aren't requiring any drive shaft upgrade, and they are willing to warranty it. who would most people trust.

Now that's a fact.
Wheeling it is irrelevant. Stock axles cannot support correct caster angles for very high lifts no matter WHO makes the lift. It is the axle and the driveline and steering angle. FACT. No opinion about it. Folks around here with AEV 2.5 often post with caster issues even so do not think AEV has some magic formula.

And fact that flat fenders have zero effect on driveline or steering. And stock driveshafts do not like 4.5 inches of lift no matter whose lift it is.

WF welcomes all opinions, and thank you for yours.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I disagree and so does aev. Geo brackets and if geo brackets are not enough by themselves you can use geo brackets and adj control arms. Aev sells way more than you can imagine.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts