Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the Northridge bolt kit, and as I was under there I noticed that there's grease spraying out of the boot where the front drive shaft connects to the tranny.... anyway to re grease and seal it up better? I know there's no zirk fittings... It was a good amount of grease, looks like it sprayed out while driving cause it's in a rainbow pattern around where it's oozing out.....Any suggestions?

2010 sport, 2.5" tf coil lift, 33" cooper at3's, 6 speed

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Time for a new drive shaft. Once the boot is torn it can't be replaced. It will work for a little while, but the clock is ticking.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Don't replace it with factory stock stuff. Get a Woods or similar and never have the problem again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based on brief research im thinking Tom woods 1310.... does this have grease fittings? I didn't see any different ones that account for the 2.5" lift..... is the lift something I have to worry about since its only 2.5"?

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Check Adams driveshafts. Aftermarket has gone to non greasable joints. You might have to grease the centering ball in between the double carden.

Now .. Let's get back to your issue. Why did it fail ? If it failed because of too much caster. Cut back on the caster/replace with stock and go on your way. Replacing the stock for aftermarket will sometimes require pinion adjustment. Do you have adjustable control arms ?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately I don't have adjustable control arms. I got an alignment 2 weeks ago and my caster was way off. It was the first alignment since installing the lift. Now my caster is at 3.7 and 4.1 which I think is still low but it's been riding fine. How can the caster be adjusted without adjustable control arms? Anyway, the angle of the drive shaft doesn't seem too harsh where it meets the transfer case.....not sure why it failed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts