Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Probably a dumb question but does the front part of the driveshaft slide completely off? I need to change the front U joint and it would be nice if it did without causing any issues with the seal or? I just got this Jeep and in the process of replacing parts that are showing signs of wear. The rest of the U joints are still tight but the front one is a little loose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm...I guess I will just take it apart and figure it out myself. I thought it was a simple question but maybe no one knows?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it is designed to slide back and forth but it could have a stop in it to keep from sliding all the way out. It would just be nice if it did slide off since I’m only changing the front joint.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
One way to find out...
Well two ways actually, but I can't recall where mine is, basement or shed so I can't check for you, sorry. It's dark and there are spiders in the basement.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Knows a couple things...
48,892 Posts
Yes it pulls apart but make darned sure you mark both sides before pulling the front off so you can put it back together with the same relationship between the front and rear u-joints.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Jerry! I just knew someone would know. I was actually going to already have it done but it was just too damn hot outside today so I didn’t get to it. Thanks for the advice about marking it, that was one thing I had planned on doing, I already had my paint marking pen out and ready.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure made quick work of the front U joint replacement. It does look like that seal could use replacing between the two sections of the driveline. Something else for me to research. It is hard when you buy a Jeep that has had parts put on and you need to first figure out what parts they used. I know the rear shaft is an Adams because it has the sticker but not sure about the front one.
Thanks again for the replies, it is nice getting info from people that have the knowledge and experience to share.

Shane

1 - 8 of 8 Posts