Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand if the actual lift height is more than 2.5", you may need to replace the stock driveshaft someday. My question is - is that a one-time thing, or do driveshafts become routine maintenance like tires, brakes, and windshield wipers?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
one time, you may have to change u joints, but the shaft should last you.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Excerpt from the lift thread

""When do you need driveshaft's? Adding lift height steepens the angles the driveshaft's operate at. Adding longer shocks will allow the axles to droop further. Disconnecting the swaybar links-even more. If the driveshaft doesn't contact the exhaust/crossover pipe the cv will eventually fail.
Some of the Fixes-Exhaust spacers/y-pipes/limit straps or a smaller ID driveshaft. There is no magic number that says you will or will not have issues at xx height, too many variables. So just make a habit of crawling underneath and looking for split boots and spitting grease. When you do decide to swap out driveshafts, adjustable arms are now very important to set proper pinion angles. **note** In some cases, running a taller lift and aftermarket Drive shaft, some will have to give up caster for pinion angle to prevent vibes, or worst case-the TC damage. Best bet here is a aftermarket housing with 10* separation. Or like mentioned ... Cut and turn the C's""

The stock Rzeppa joint is now rebuildable. But The cost doesn't make sense compared to a new double carden. You can locate a stock takeoff as a spare/backup like I did with my rear.
Running a double carden (aftermarket shaft) may require adjustment to pinion angles.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/jeep-jk-caster-and-lifting-502001.html

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
That is question no asked very often. :thumb:

The joints in many of the quality aftermarket drive shafts provide a wider range of operating angle which lowers the stresses and therefore increases their operating life. How long it will last depends on the amount of lift and your driving habits. However, many of the joints in these driveshafts require regular maintenance while the stock DS are maintenance free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts