Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2012 jk sport s 2 door and I've heard you need to replace the front driveshaft with a 2.5 inch lift, is this true?

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
No and maybe. Generally no. But it will not last as long as with no lift. And many 2.5 lifts can be higher than 2.5. So you don't have to change it, but just be ready to change it when it goes. You will usually get warnings - vibrations and grease usually.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No and maybe. Generally no. But it will not last as long as with no lift. And many 2.5 lifts can be higher than 2.5. So you don't have to change it, but just be ready to change it when it goes. You will usually get warnings - vibrations and grease usually.
thanks so much this helps a lot!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I did an AEV 2.5 lift on mine and the drive shaft is shot after 42k miles. Lift has been on about 20k miles. It is slinging grease, I just ordered a custom K.O.R. driveshaft from Jason over at KrawlOff-road.com scheduled for deliverly on Monday I iwll post up some pictures.

·
Registered
566 Posts
While expensive, the mopar 2" lift comes with a front DS replacement. I have that lift and it is excellent!

That lift measured close to 3" front and 2" rear actual.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Perfect answer ^

I will add, it depends on what you're trying to run for caster angle too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My JKU was lifted when I bought it. 4.25 in above factory fender height. Not sure if that is a healthy 3.5 or 4" lift. Running 35's on it now. What should I know about driveshaft replacement (length, style, etc.) and caster angle, replacement parts, etc.?

Thanks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I did an AEV 2.5 lift on mine and the drive shaft is shot after 42k miles. Lift has been on about 20k miles. It is slinging grease, I just ordered a custom K.O.R. driveshaft from Jason over at KrawlOff-road.com scheduled for deliverly on Monday I iwll post up some pictures.
Safe to say this reply just ruined my night, :atomic:, i thought i researched this topic to death and was safe with the answer of the AEV 2.5 lift not having to need to replace driveshafts. Now I'm scratching my head again. :puke:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You don't need to replace the drive shaft when you lift 2.5 inches. It will function just fine but that doesn't mean the increased angles aren't going to put more stress on the DS and cause some excess wear and tear.

Exhaust spacers can help if you don't have them. One issue on 2012+ Jeeps with 2.5 inch lifts is the boot touching the exhaust crossover when the suspension is drooped. That plastic boot gets burned, falls a apart and dirt and mud get in there. Even so, you still might need to replace the DS after a while depending on how often and how hard you wheel. Nothing is forever ;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have an 09 2DR manual with AEV 2.5 and haven't changed my driveshaft and have about 65K miles on it. I mostly drive in the city and out of the year I do about 1000 miles off road in Moab, Co, etc.. BUT, to be honest I haven't check'd if I'm slinging grease ,etc.. and I don't notice the ride any different then when first installed, etc..

BUT, when in doubt buy more stuff to feed the JEEP BEAST!!!!!!

I did hear on the Internet that having a 4DR with a 2.5 lift "might" need new drive shafts, but that depends on the rotation of the moons. :)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Exhaust spacers can help if you don't have them. One issue on 2012+ Jeeps with 2.5 inch lifts is the boot touching the exhaust crossover when the suspension is drooped. That plastic boot gets burned, falls a apart and dirt and mud get in there. Even so, you still might need to replace the DS after a while depending on how often and how hard you wheel. Nothing is forever ;)
According to AEV, an exhaust spacer is not required for the DualSport XT 2.5" lift. That's what it says on the website, anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts