Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the MC GC 3.5" lift and Teraflex Falcon 3.3's for a 2.5-3.5" lift. I am wondering if the 2.5-3.5 shock was the best option for my lift, will I have the coil unseat when they are fully flexed?

Lengths for the coils:
Front- 21 7/8"
Rear- 19 3/8"

Extended lengths for shocks:
Front- 28.10"
Rear- 27.70"

I ask because the 6Pak shocks that normally ship with this lift show an extended length of 25 1/4"

Will I need to change the driveshafts out immediately or could I expect to get 5-7k miles out of them? I would like to hold off for now if I can, I have seen mixed thoughts on the threads I have seen so far.

·
Registered
121 Posts
When I installed by MC game changer 3.5 kit, I replaced the front driveshaft at the same time. If you look at the stock driveshaft, there is a rubber boot that will droop onto the exhaust loop when flexed. Hot exhaust and rubber don't mix, so I was concerned about melting a hole and causing a problem.

I installed an Adam's 1310 driveshaft, it's much thinner than the stock shaft and it doesn't have a boot.

I also installed all 4 inches of bump stop. That seems to give me a crazy amount of flex and I think I only had it rub once on the exhaust loop. I did not installed spacers or make any other changes to the exhaust system.

I'm still running the stock rear shaft without issue after about 5K miles. If I recall correctly MC told me when I placed the order that I could expect issues in the rear after about 25K miles, so I should be good for quite some time.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Limit straps do a good job and are an easy fix for this droopy situation.

Find a test ramp or "big rock" and check it before deciding you have a problem that you may not have.

·
Super Moderator
21,933 Posts
those numbers are pretty close to what the 3.5 GC with OME shocks are. My buddy unseated front left coil in Moab but it was really an odd situation and doubt it would ever happen again. We had a beetch of a time getting it flexed enough to spin the coil back in place. Those coils are long and that MC 3.5 sure flexes nice.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Just keep an eye on the driveshaft. It starts to make a thunk when it goes bad. Whenever you wheel check it afterwards. Does the MC lift come with exhaust spacers? Like VanCleef said it'll hit your exhaust right at that boot when you fully flex. Look for tearing and leakage. Average time to replace varies wildly so its really your call if you want to do it preemptively. Personally spacing out the exhaust hit my skids and they rattled- I got rid of my stock DS for a Tom Woods earlier than needed.
There was just a post about the MC 3.5 and Fox shocks vs. the 6pak bottoming out coming off rocks. He called MC and they told him to add Sumo bumpstops. I just briefly looked at the 3.3s before nixing them because of the reservoir location- plus they don't list their travel. Where did you find that information?
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/shocks-or-hydraulic-bump-stops-2011466.html

Attachments

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Limit straps do a good job and are an easy fix for this droopy situation.

Find a test ramp or "big rock" and check it before deciding you have a problem that you may not have.
Agreed. Did the shop that installed your lift check it?
Limit straps get a bad rap for "limiting" flex- but you just have to size them correctly. Can prevent breakage. I run limit straps and have NO issues flexing.

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just keep an eye on the driveshaft. It starts to make a thunk when it goes bad. Whenever you wheel check it afterwards. Does the MC lift come with exhaust spacers? Like VanCleef said it'll hit your exhaust right at that boot when you fully flex. Look for tearing and leakage. Average time to replace varies wildly so its really your call if you want to do it preemptively. Personally spacing out the exhaust hit my skids and they rattled- I got rid of my stock DS for a Tom Woods earlier than needed.
There was just a post about the MC 3.5 and Fox shocks vs. the 6pak bottoming out coming off rocks. He called MC and they told him to add Sumo bumpstops. I just briefly looked at the 3.3s before nixing them because of the reservoir location- plus they don't list their travel. Where did you find that information?
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/shocks-or-hydraulic-bump-stops-2011466.html
I may just run stock driveshafts until I see signs of tearing or leaking. MetalCloak has an exhaust spacer but it doesn't come with the lift, I ordered one separate. I went with the 3.3's for the adjustability, I'm not too concerned with the reservoir position. Teraflex recently put out a brochure on the Falcon shocks and it list the lengths, I think there's a link in the Falcon Shocks thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Agreed. Did the shop that installed your lift check it?
Limit straps get a bad rap for "limiting" flex- but you just have to size them correctly. Can prevent breakage. I run limit straps and have NO issues flexing.
Actually you are limiting flex if you use limit straps to keep the springs from falling out.

I run limit straps to keep from pulling on the shocks and coilovers along with spring retainers in the rear because it can easily spit the springs out. If I wanted to use the straps to keep the springs in then my straps would have to be two inches shorter. Not worth giving up two inches of down travel when a 4 dollar hose clamp keeps the springs in place.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Actually you are limiting flex if you use limit straps to keep the springs from falling out.

I run limit straps to keep from pulling on the shocks and coilovers along with spring retainers in the rear because it can easily spit the springs out. If I wanted to use the straps to keep the springs in then my straps would have to be two inches shorter. Not worth giving up two inches of down travel when a 4 dollar hose clamp keeps the springs in place.
That's a good point. I don't have the spring problem because my springs have a retaining bracket that I installed when I put the lift kit on. Its an RK that required drilling a hole but it was a very easy thing to do. it's a simple but effective " Z " bracket. Or a hose clamp would work too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts