Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long can one drive with a clanking front drive shaft?

I found out today, the noise I've been hearing from as long as I can remember (since I bought the car I believe back in May '11) is my front drive shaft, and they recommend a rebuild -- quoting around $600. However, after just dropping $1,200 to have the onboard computer (PCM) replaced, I opted not to. They said it was safe to drive, but be on the lookout if it gets worse.

I'm assuming rebuilding it would be far too complex for a novice such as myself. Anybody in the Mountain View/Sunnyvale area with a free weekend to teach a novice? ;)

Anyway, what's the best way to determine it's worn out its welcome, and rebuilt will be necessary?

*Edit: Oops, sorry. It's the front drive shaft in question.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
The "drive train" consists of the engine, transmission, transfer case, front and rear drive shafts, front and rear differentials. You're going to have to narrow it down a bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "drive train" consists of the engine, transmission, transfer case, front and rear drive shafts, front and rear differentials. You're going to have to narrow it down a bit.
Oh. Doh! Okay, it's says "Recommend front drive shaft rebuild" on my invoice. Sorry! I got "drivetrain" in my head somehow, and it kind of stuck. My apologies.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I would run without the front driveshaft until it can be replaced/rebuilt. There was a thread a few days ago where a dude's transfer case grenaded. I wouldn't take a chance if it were me.

·
Registered
705 Posts
How long can one drive with a clanking front drive shaft?

I found out today, the noise I've been hearing from as long as I can remember (since I bought the car I believe back in May '11) is my front drive shaft, and they recommend a rebuild -- quoting around $600. However, after just dropping $1,200 to have the onboard computer (PCM) replaced, I opted not to. They said it was safe to drive, but be on the lookout if it gets worse.

I'm assuming rebuilding it would be far too complex for a novice such as myself. Anybody in the Mountain View/Sunnyvale area with a free weekend to teach a novice? ;)

Anyway, what's the best way to determine it's worn out its welcome, and rebuilt will be necessary?

*Edit: Oops, sorry. It's the front drive shaft in question.
Let me get this straight. First, your mechanic tells you that a part that seldom goes bad (ecm) needs to be replaced and charges you $1200. Did you know that you can buy them new for less than $500? Now, he tells you he'll rebuild your front driveshaft for almost twice the cost of a new shaft. You need to run very far away from that shop and never go back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me get this straight. First, your mechanic tells you that a part that seldom goes bad (ecm) needs to be replaced and charges you $1200. Did you know that you can buy them new for less than $500? Now, he tells you he'll rebuild your front driveshaft for almost twice the cost of a new shaft. You need to run very far away from that shop and never go back.
Error codes were:
P0700 - Trans Controller Fault; P1604 - PCM Internal Dual Port RAM Read/Write.

I actually got the codes from another dealer, and they told me "we don't do transmissions" so I had to take it another guy.

Part was $635. Labor was 480 for investigation (I didn't trust the first dealer's info; so I had this other dealer reinvestigate), and repair. The actual repair was nothing: only 1.6hrs. And the result: engine light no longer on.

Now, the PCM went bad as it appears it was tampered with previously: there was silicon on the connectors. They had to clean it off, initially having trouble making it work.

The $600 is what I'm rounding up. He said $500-$600 for them to do all the work: rebuild and replace. Looking online, front drive shafts are $500-$800 ?! Or am I just looking at the wrong item? This site lists it just over $800.

This is the switched mechanic. The first one didn't give me a good vibe, even after having nothing but 5 start reviews on Yelp. I didn't like him. This place 4, but gave me a better vibe. One 2 star said they do good work, but a little pricey. Eh. I rather have people I trust to get the job done right, than one who will give me the cheapest price.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Call the guys at Tatton's Driveshaft service. They'll build you a front driveshaft for under $300 shipped. I have one of their rear shafts in my Sahara and it functions as expected.

·
Registered
705 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts