Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a vibration for 1 year I can't figure out. I'm not a know it all but I'm inclined mechanically except for rebuilding a transmission.
All these symptoms began at once, they are related.
While driving between 1600-2000 there is a vibration. The pitch of it changes with going over bumps etc...
When letting out the clutch in forward or reverse It's not smooth. That's hard to describe in a post.

What are your idea's? They are appriciated.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a RK budget boost. It's felt at different speeds in that rpm range. The jeep is usually on the highway doing 70mph 90% of its life.

I originally thought an engine problem but with the vibration changing going over bumps, it makes me think a bearing in the driveline.

It showed up on the drive home from a 6 hour off road ride. I was cruising at speed on the highway and after a bit it slowly crept in getting worse over a few minute span. I pulled over and checked oil and diff levels. In the last year I've hoped it would finally break or somehow show itself so I'd know what to fix. It's very annoying.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be a a lot of things. Start with tire balance. Sometimes rotating front to rear helps. It's shows a 08 in your profile. Condition of u-joints, axle bearings. Check u-joints. How are the factory CV joints in the driveshafts ?
Great ideas keeper. The jeep had 20k miles on it. It was bone stock and never seen dirt when I bought it at 17k miles.
Tires rotation has not helped. U joints are good. No ripped boots on the DS. I'm assuming the cv joints are good.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
How were the tires balanced .. Road force, dynamically ?
Sometimes a road force balance will cure vibes. Even determine a wheel or tire that is out of round.

Your CV's should be ok if there's no grease splatter.

Did you get each tire off the ground (ball joints/bearings) ?
I know it's low milage. The Carfax report that came with my 07 showed a hub replaced at 20k

Look around your driveshafts, make sure non of the weights fell off. Look for broken tack welds.

JK's have weak rear axle flanges. One good pot hole can cause a lot of damage. Bent C (knuckle), bent flange.

How do your tires look ? Too much toe in or camber issues can feather the tires and cause issues. Do you have a alignment sheet ?

About all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How were the tires balanced .. Road force, dynamically ? Sometimes a road force balance will cure vibes. Even determine a wheel or tire that is out of round. Your CV's should be ok if there's no grease splatter. Did you get each tire off the ground (ball joints/bearings) ? I know it's low milage. The Carfax report that came with my 07 showed a hub replaced at 20k Look around your driveshafts, make sure non of the weights fell off. Look for broken tack welds. JK's have weak rear axle flanges. One good pot hole can cause a lot of damage. Bent C (knuckle), bent flange. How do your tires look ? Too much toe in or camber issues can feather the tires and cause issues. Do you have a alignment sheet ? About all I can think of right now.
Keeper, thanks for all the good suggestion.
I forgot to say, It happens with 2 different set of tires. It's been awhile since I've checked hubs/bearings. I'll check them this weekend as I rotate tires.
I believe it's in the drive shaft or axles. I don't know much about axles, like the flange.

The issue caused me to buy a warranty from the dealer, because it happened within 30 days of buying the jeep. I have a $100 deductible. I wonder if they would find the issue? I' have not wanted to gamble a $100 but I guess I should. I don't know if they would find the issue though.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
No problem. Def go through it yourself. At least check the bearings/ball joints.

To check the rear flanges. Support rear axle with 2 jack stands. CHUCK the front tires.
Remove tires and run it in 2wd.
Look closely at the pads through the opening in the caliper bracket. A bent flange will pulse or wobble.

Have all your ducks lined up in a row. Important when dealing with warranty issues IMO.
"Sorry MR xxxx we can not replicate the problem" <---- or expect this :(

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
I don't believe i didn't think if this.

Does it smooth out 3k or above ?

The JK, especially with higher gearing-does not like low RPM's. When you said it's not "smooth"
Engine lugging could very well be the issue.

I drove a TJ for over 10 years. One of my first post on here concerning the Jk. I asked about Rpm.s and city driving, one thing I was not used to was the lag and gutless-nes at low RPM's.
Took a while to get used to.... That's for sure.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't believe i didn't think if this. Does it smooth out 3k or above ? The JK, especially with higher gearing-does not like low RPM's. When you said it's not "smooth" Engine lugging could very well be the issue. I drove a TJ for over 10 years. One of my first post on here concerning the Jk. I asked about Rpm.s and city driving, one thing I was not used to was the lag and gutless-nes at low RPM's. Took a while to get used to.... That's for sure.
Ya, the 3.8 sucks with the 3.21s. It's a bearing, axle or drive shaft. It's fine at 1500 rpms.

I forgot to mention, it is non existent when it's cold. It shows it's ugly head as she warms and it gets worse as she gets hot. Even more so in hot weather.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts