Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

New Jeep owner to the Lincoln Park area, also new to manual transmission. I've already posted to the General TJ Forum, and got some great responses, but also wanted to hear from anyone specifically in Chicago.

Anyone have any advice on how they learned to drive in the city? I have plenty of friends who drive manual in the city, but not Jeeps specifically. So I was actually thinking about trying to hire someone for an hour or so to drive with, who can break it all down for me.

Let me know if you are aware of any services like this, outside of a typical driving school. If anyone on here is available in the upcoming weekends, I can pay for your time, and obviously we'd be taking my Jeep out. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, here is my $.02 worth.
I've been driving a stick for many years. All are basically the same, except every car has a different sort of feel. Some smooth and easy, others ruff and hard.

Jeeps (at least my JK) are very forgiving. Just get one of your friends who drives a stick to ride with you and talk you through the process of starting and shifting.

When I taught my daughter to drive, we just started in a big empty parking lot and practiced starting and stopping. Maybe getting up to 2nd. When she became more confident in the process (easing up on clutch, giving more gas) and getting smoother gear shifts, we moved out into our residential streets. After more practice, we found a quiet street on a hill and practiced starting from a dead stop going up hill. You want to find some place where your jeep will roll backwards when you take your foot off the brake. Then just practice starting uphill. Don't worry about rolling backwards a little, it is natural.

Then it is just a matter of practice, practice, practice. You will soon learn how your jeep responds and sounds. Just remember if you start to stall or grind the gear, engage the clutch and put it in neutral. Don't be afraid of stalling out, it happens.

Bill

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've a '93 YJ 5 speed manual. What would you like to know? City driving vs. coasting down the highway can be a little more of a headache. I generally hate driving in the city.

Honestly, the Jeep doesn't drive much different than any other manual car I've driven in. Like said above, you learn the sound of your engine when you need to shift up or down.

I can meet you sometime maybe the weekend of the 18th or something? Send me a PM if there is anything specific you'd like to know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How are you holding up so far driving it around the city? I'm in NW Chicago with a manual JKU and I agree with what others have said that a manual is a manual. only difference would be that every car has it's tweaks and it's sweet spot where the clutch disk starts to grab.

Major key I could suggest is try not to slip the clutch too much, and just drive it. that's honestly the only way to truly learn.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
If your still looking for a little help in July I'll be available to meet up also. Shoot me a pm and we can talk

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, thank you for all the help. I've definitely improved immensely throughout the last couple weeks; as many of you mentioned it's about learning your Jeep and practicing. Heavy traffic is the worst, but I've definitely got the hang of it and no longer feel nervous about stalling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just concerned that I'm not optimizing my gas mileage, as in should I try to shift up to a higher gear and keep my RPMs low so I'm not stressing the engine and using more gas?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm just concerned that I'm not optimizing my gas mileage, as in should I try to shift up to a higher gear and keep my RPMs low so I'm not stressing the engine and using more gas?
Live in River West, if you need help we can try to find a day to meet up. Net, drive it for 3 months straight in the city and you will be just fine. Few other thoughts:

- Don't worry about gas mileage, there is limited you are going to do to help the mileage because the Jeep is a brick and you are already in the city where mileage is crap. Just shift when comfortable and get into the highest gear on the highway you can when up to speed. On city streets it doesn't matter since you will come to a stop in a few moments anyway
- As opposed to focusing on gas mileage, focus on being smooth. A clutch replacement will be a lot more than you can ever recover from the 10ths of gas mileage improvement. Practice easing the clutch in and out and matching RPM to speed for each gear. When you can shift the Jeep so that your passenger head never jerks you are getting close
- Similar to the above bullet, make sure you practice downshifting to accelerate. Going from 5/6 -> 3 to accelerate is a good test, see if you can do that without being jerky and you will learn you are getting good at rev matching

Just drive it and don't worry about being perfect, it is all about being smooth.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Running too low an rpm also uses too much gas. Think about getting on a 10 speed bike in 10th gear. Will you use more or less muscle to get it moving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Running too low an rpm also uses too much gas. Think about getting on a 10 speed bike in 10th gear. Will you use more or less muscle to get it moving.
Yeah, I agree - the gas experts say that 2000 RPM is the best engine speed for economy and when I drove stick shifts I tried to keep the RPM to 2000 - of course that meant in 5th gear I was doing 70 mph - which in the city limits was not the right idea, so I chose the gear that could hold the speed at 2000 RPM and I got pretty close to the optimum MPG for that automobile most months. I can't say that that is a hard and fast rule - but try it and see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts