Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to the beach for a few days during spring break and it will be the first time with my new Rubicon. Just had a couple questions before I consider actually driving on the beach.

Has anyone gotten stuck before? I know I have 4 wheel drive (lol), but still wanted to see if getting stuck is a real possibility. I can see this as a good way to ruin our little trip. Plus getting in a fight with hippies flipping me off as they walk by is a real possibility too. lol

Also, just been googling for a while and have read many posts from people saying driving on the beach is a good way to ruin your car (rust). Any Florida guys feel like chiming in on this one? With the surface rust issues Wranglers already have, I'm thinking it would be difficult to differentiate this from real rust issues?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
In most cases I'd say just air down the tires some but I've heard people say the beaches in FL don't even need that. But if you air down you'll be beyond fine. People drive cars on the beaches in FL.

I wouldn't worry about a weekend of beach driving causing rust. People here are hyper paranoid about rust but if you wash the rig off after you get home you'll be fine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You should be fine and not get stuck if you stay in 4wd and are not driving erratically. I would not worry about rust much unless you plan on driving into the ocean. I've driven on the beach many times and my jeep is fine. If you're really paranoid about rust maybe spray the underside of the jeep down after driving on the beach

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. What's a good psi to air down to for the beach? I still have factory air in mine. The beach is an hour from me so I'd have to be sure air up at a gas station before I head back home.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks guys. What's a good psi to air down to for the beach? I still have factory air in mine. The beach is an hour from me so I'd have to be sure air up at a gas station before I head back home.

Most people tend to go 15-20 PSI, possibly even lower depending on how soft the sand is. just remember to air back up ASAP, or even bring a portable compressor with you (most ideal). I drive on packed sand/somewhat loose sand with normal PSI (35-36)

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've driven at the beach (Outer Banks and Carolina Beach) with no problems at all. I will shift to 4-Hi right before hitting the sand and never leave 4wd as long as I'm on the sand. I've never had to air down at the beach and come to think about it, I don't think I've ever seen anyone air down at these 2 beaches.

It's a bit intimidating the first time, you will be fine.

Have fun and post pictures when you get back!

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Airing down to 20 will be fine. Stay off the wet sand and definitely avoid the water like the plague. I put a lawn sprinkler under my jeep for awhile afer I get off the beach. My 2010 still looks new underneath.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm going to the beach for a few days during spring break and it will be the first time with my new Rubicon. Just had a couple questions before I consider actually driving on the beach.

Has anyone gotten stuck before? I know I have 4 wheel drive (lol), but still wanted to see if getting stuck is a real possibility. I can see this as a good way to ruin our little trip. Plus getting in a fight with hippies flipping me off as they walk by is a real possibility too. lol

Also, just been googling for a while and have read many posts from people saying driving on the beach is a good way to ruin your car (rust). Any Florida guys feel like chiming in on this one? With the surface rust issues Wranglers already have, I'm thinking it would be difficult to differentiate this from real rust issues?
As a Florida resident and someone who drove many cars, my Ram 2500 lifted and my old Jeep as well as my new JK I will say it depends on the beach. I lived one both sides of Florida - from NSB all the way down Daytona to Ponce is hard packed. Don't need to do anything just drive and enjoy. I now live on the gulf side and would say that many beaches you can't drive, but the ones you can... a little down on the tire pressure, but at this point I just drive a little slower and stay with my normal pressure. 4 wheel hasn't been required for me on either side at this point.

·
Registered
990 Posts
No worries, you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
4Hi - 18-20psi - stay Out of any water - You'll be fine.

Been going to the OBX for 30+ years.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would say not to get too close to the water's edge. I have seen pictures and videos of vehicles actually being pulled into deeper water by the current. Ever stood in the ocean, and felt your feet being covered up by incoming sand? Same thing could happen to your Jeep if you were to park right at the edge of the water...be careful!

·
Registered
368 Posts
After you come home from the beach take a water sprinkler and put it under your Jeep where you can pull the hose from the front to the rear or rear to the front and let the water sprinkler run for about 5 to 10 minutes in one area then pull it back a little bit to get the areas that the sprinkler did not get to until the whole bottom of the Jeep has been thoroughly rinsed with fresh water. Gets most if not all of the salt off the bottom of your vehicle.
I am a Florida Native and have been doing this to all of my vehicles since I could drive. Works very well.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
In NC, stay in the ruts if not bottoming out. If you have to cross the ruts, don't stop. Keep momentum and don't be afraid of using the gas, while not spinning wheels. Try to find some firm sand to stop on and it will help you get going again. You may get stuck. I have been given a little pull to get going and I have pulled others out. Just posted in another thread:
https://vimeo.com/160030311

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm on the beach most days here are a couple of tips. If you have a JK while in 4 hi, press and hold the esc button for 5 seconds. This turns off the traction control permitting free wheeling. Try to maintain forward momentum but watch out for tourists. Stay in the tracks of other vehicles. If you get stuck, try using "Southern manners" when asking for assistance. The "hey, you need to pull me out" NE request won't get you very far. Rinse off the bottom of your jeep and run the water thru the frame rail openings by the wheels. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/-c9GCb2CRjI
http://youtu.be/WVKHU3yspZM
http://youtu.be/usqK7HVozOE
http://youtu.be/lbW4dz6R2-0

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Maybe a stupid question but how is the jeep bouncing around on the sand and the camera is steady?

Love the video, makes me jealous...
I had wondered that also. It is an iphone mounted in a Rugged Ridge dash mount. Best I figure, the phone's has software that stabilized the video. I did another video leaving that night with the headlights on and it bounced along with the jeep.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Make sure you disable traction control
^ This!

The first time I took my JKU into soft sand it felt like I was bogging down and pulling a house. Turns out the TC will apply brake to any wheel it senses the slightest amount of slip. The more I pushed the accelerator the more it applied breaking.

Turned off TC and it made a world of difference.

Reactions: ChuffHugginLoognat
1 - 20 of 69 Posts