Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does your Jeep handle the ice? My last truck seemed to be a sled on ice. Picking mine up tomorrow, weather permitting...we are expecting ice, sleet, snow and then more ice.

·
i'm......... lost
1,668 Posts
i love driving on the ice. extremely controlled as long as youre not an idiot, but you can still have fun if you want :p

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
well 1 a jeep isnt a truck but i hope u know that.

2, if your in 2wd and hit the gas, youll spin, esp if your tires arent too great. 4wd is a tank for me, but you can still spin em trust me. It stops like any other vehicle on ice, maybe even slower if you have wide tires, cause its a light rig. just be careful and its fun. snow is really fun :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes - I know it is NOT a truck...part of the reason I wanted one...it's an SUV, right? ;-)

My truck was so light in the rear it was a challenge to drive...my "fun" years of figuring out what cars are capable of are long behind me...I think.

I'm really not looking forward to driving it home tomorrow night so I might wait until next Monday or Tuesday to bring it home.

·
Aka Vaultzz
5,624 Posts
Driving on Ice? :rofl:

I had no problem :punk: but that was a controlled area, I've never hit ice while driving but I have spun out in snow and was able to correct it easily

·
Registered
530 Posts
With great winter dedicated tires youre pretty solid... On Ice you drive fine with or without 4WD, the problem is breaking ... Just jeep safe distances for breaking and youll be amazed with the performance on ice/snow, trust me, Im from Canada

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Yes, breaking anything is bad. You should use caution when BRAKING however.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Flat ice is fun. Surprise ice under some light snow on a hill isn't as much.
We did this two years ago.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Just because it's a jeep doesn't mean it's impervious to ice/snow. Have confidence, but don't rest on your laurels. Be careful, and enjoy your jeep!

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Can't see the pic.
It's a thread on ExPo. Maybe you have to be a member.
It was a really steep hill and began like this:

So we're sliding down this hill sideways yesterday on the side of a 5,000 foot cliff on the Cherohala Skyway... ...and I'm thinkin', "this is not going to buff out...". My wife is saying some sort of prayer to her guardian angel, the dog's tail is waving like crazy and she's bouncing all over the place...

It was all sort of in slow motion. Solid ice, about 1/2" thick with a thin veil of snow over it. Not a freakin' hope in a million of getting traction or landing anywhere else than where gravity demands.

Then thwack. The guardrail caught us. I dropped it into 4-low and crept a little off the rail, spun the rest of the way around and thwack again.
My wife finished her prayer and looks at me and, honest to God, says, "do you want me to get out and push?"

I'm trying not to laugh at her 'cause I know she's serious. The situation was far from dire --- just this helpless feeling. Wondering when the next vehicle will come around the bend and lose it also. There was lots of snow in the mountains but this was the first ice; snow melt off the sunny side of the rocks had formed a sheet of ice on the shady side of the mountain.

So I thanked her for her willingness to help and cut the wheel sharply downhill; I aimed at an arc and tried to launch myself in a way that would eventually spin me facing forward toward the grass. It worked.

All in all, I just crushed the plastic bumper a little. And learned a lesson about traction. And put a winch on my wish-list.

The other side of the disaster zone:

the carnage:

·
Banned
916 Posts
The only time my Jeep would ever see ice is if I smashed into a skating rink. You guys up north must have a some pretty knarly juevos to be driving in all that!!

·
i'm......... lost
1,668 Posts
jeeze. glad everyones okay. thats some scary stuff man. jeep doesnt even look too bad. nice driving!

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Ice in mountains = chains
Ice on hills = studs
Ice on flat land = AT or MT

You may be able to move up one factor with care in driving. I've done hills on glare ice and managed to go slow enough to keep it on the road without the studs but it is the reason that I now have studded winter tires.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Ice in mountains = chains
Ice on hills = studs
Ice on flat land = AT or MT

You may be able to move up one factor with care in driving. I've done hills on glare ice and managed to go slow enough to keep it on the road without the studs but it is the reason that I now have studded winter tires.
Quoted to emphasize the wisdom.

If you have MTs without sipes, siping them helps quite a bit on slick stuff.
You can buy a hot knife for it or go to a tire store and have it done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine handles the ice pretty well, even with my non-studded 265 Firestone ATs. Fair amount of slippage in 2WD, but grips like a champ in 4WD. Alaska plows well and puts down pretty light gravel, but doesn't salt. My commute includes a nice 20-degree incline, and it flies up that like it isn't even there.

It's a blast to drive - enough grip to keep you safe, enough pucker factor to make it interesting. Just don't be an idiot, or you can and will find yourself backwards/upside down (I put a Bronco II on its side in college this way.)

·
Registered
475 Posts
driven on all kinds of ice on the roads in jersey, 4wd only helps to get you started, other than that you may as well be in a civic, drives and stops the same.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts