Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Looks like Fun!!

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
His plates are from Illinois. I used to run the power lines near Charleston SC several years ago. It was legal at that time.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I've heard a lot of people talking about power lines on the forum and thought it was an off road park somewhere but now i'm assuming it actually means riding on power company property where they've run large power lines? because there is a nice plot of land with power lines on it behind my aunt and uncle's new house that looks like a nice little trail to ride on. sorry again for butting in on the thread.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I've heard a lot of people talking about power lines on the forum and thought it was an off road park somewhere but now i'm assuming it actually means riding on power company property where they've run large power lines? because there is a nice plot of land with power lines on it behind my aunt and uncle's new house that looks like a nice little trail to ride on. sorry again for butting in on the thread.
If its posted obviously no. If it isnt, it should be fine, but check with the local authorities.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i didn't get much of a look but just a small portion of the trail. next time i'm up there i'll walk a little ways up it to see if i can find some signs but saw nothing in the way of signs or paint. who would i ask when you say check with the authorities? like at the parks and rec dept or like a sheriff's dept?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
i didn't get much of a look but just a small portion of the trail. next time i'm up there i'll walk a little ways up it to see if i can find some signs but saw nothing in the way of signs or paint. who would i ask when you say check with the authorities? like at the parks and rec dept or like a sheriff's dept?
When you look know going in in most states it HAS to be posted EVERY 50ft.

I'd say sheriff. Just ask what the rules on power lines are.

·
Registered
148 Posts
as long as there is not a "no tresspassing" sign then you won't be arrested and can't. Hell, down here in FL we tresspass anyways and usually the cops let us off with a nice "don't come back here scare the crap out of us" and we're usually done.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
as long as there is not a "no tresspassing" sign then you won't be arrested and can't. Hell, down here in FL we tresspass anyways and usually the cops let us off with a nice "don't come back here scare the crap out of us" and we're usually done.
The problem with doing that is if the owner comes out, he can get you arrested. Also it give the people trying to close legal trails down (happens a lot here) a reason to do so. I urge you to practice responsible wheeling.

·
Registered
312 Posts
thanks guys. there isn't much in the way of trails around here that are "legal" and don't get old within the first five or ten rides. so any land we can hit is good land. i'll kindly return your topic to the OP. haha.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The problem with doing that is if the owner comes out, he can get you arrested. Also it give the people trying to close legal trails down (happens a lot here) a reason to do so. I urge you to practice responsible wheeling.
Luckily down here in the gunshine owners usually take care of their propertys and as long as you don't break a fence down or do something stupid they won't have you arrested. Usually the places we go wheeling around here all have owners who don't care or don't know. The cops are usually the ones to shut the places down due to partiers.

·
Registered
312 Posts
and we triple check postings every trail we hit. everyone around here keeps there signs secured to the trees so they aren't just laying on the ground and you know where private property is. we're not big fans of "wildcatting" and getting trails shut down. I wish we could actually get more opened. few of the wheelin clubs around here work real hard to keep trails clean, safe and open.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i really envy florida wheelers. i see mud up here then i go to youtube and see florida mud and my jaw drops everytime. y'all are some lucky punks down there. haha

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Luckily down here in the gunshine owners usually take care of their propertys and as long as you don't break a fence down or do something stupid they won't have you arrested. Usually the places we go wheeling around here all have owners who don't care or don't know. The cops are usually the ones to shut the places down due to partiers.
The problem with this is that it makes 4x4 drivers look like "partiers". And just because an owner doesnt know doesnt (!) make it right.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i really envy florida wheelers. i see mud up here then i go to youtube and see florida mud and my jaw drops everytime. y'all are some lucky punks down there. haha
yeah we really are it's just cops can be real awful to deal with when we gotta deal with em. It's the people who dump/party/and dump dead bodies who get the places shut down. Cops really don't mind 4 wheeling as long as you're safe and not stupid. People always manage to ruin stuff some how though.

The problem with this is that it makes 4x4 drivers look like "partiers". And just because an owner doesnt know doesnt (!) make it right.
as long as your not out on the trail at night you're fine. And if you are and you arne't just out there to get trashed you're fine.

·
Registered
312 Posts
yeah. luckily the trails we hit are up on the sides of mountains and there is no way unless they buy jeep interceptors they could get up to where we ride. so our only concern is whats posted and whats not. cuz some people buy land and never post a thing there then raise hell when you ride on it even though there is nothing up at all to warn you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
yeah well down here in FL if you're on someone's land they can legally shoot your ass haha. Never heard of it happening but it probably has. cops down here have repo's f250's and helicopters to nab us.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts