Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 JK and it was CANADIAN, but the dealer changed to US (mode). I installed EBESTAuto HALOs and have wired them separately (connected to the seat warmers for power only when JK is on).

Here's the issue - When I'm in park, the HALOs are PERFECT (only the outter rings are on - HALO). However, when I put the jeep in drive, the outer rings (Halos) stay on as they should, but there are two smaller LEDs within the headlights that come on. I'm not talking about the low and high beams, I'm referring to the smaller LEDS on the left and right side - within the headlights.

I've asked the dealer to turn off my DRLs and they said they looked and didn't have selection in the module to disagble the DRLs? (which I found to be odd).

I cannot get a hold to anyone at EBESTAuto - so that's a not go.

I've used the AEV ProCal and set the dipsticks to the proper setting to turn OFF the DRLs on the JK, but these two smaller LEDs still come on when I put the jeep in drive. Something is triggering these two lights (within each headlight) to come on when I put the jeep in drive because when I'm in park, they are not on. How can I get these lights to STAY off when I put the car in drive (and do not turn my lights on). Again, I just want the HALOs (outter rings) to stay on while in drive, not the HALOs AND the 2 smaller LEDs within the headlights.

Take a look at the image below - I want my JK to be in drive and look like the DRL image, but mine looks like the LOW BEAM image (minues the low beam being on) when I'm in drive. See those two smaller LEDs within the headlight? How do I get those off for DRL while in drive?

Thanks a ton!!!
Steve

·
Retired Moderator
100,544 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do the small LEDs go off when you apply the parking brake while in drive?
If they do, try changing the DRLs to fog lights or turn signals with procal. That will at least narrow out the lights as the fault.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, 3oomer!

The small lights DO go off when I pull up the parking brake. Let me try the fog lights and parking lights....back shortly.

Thanks again,
Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@3oomer - ok, a couple of things ---

1. When I originally plugged in the AEV to disable the DRLs before I posted my initial thread, the horn never honked (however, I know the AEV is good because I did get the check engine light to go away with a different dipswitch setting and the horn honked) --- BTW - dealer said the check engine light was due to some emissions sensor. (I don't believe it's headlight related - :)

2. When I tried to set the FOG lights to run during DRL (after changing the dipsticks to the correct settings), again, no horn honked nor did the AEV make any change.

3. I tried to have the parking lights run during DRL (after changing the dipsticks to the correct settings), again, no horn honked nor did the AEV make any change.

Findings ---- When I'm setting the dipstick settings to fool wiht the lights, the horn does not honk, which means, it may not be programming the module (in the jeep). I wouldn't think this brand new AEV is bad, but stranger things have happened.

I've seem some threads talk about disabling some type of module mounted toward the rear of the hood (close to the window). Cutting a wire or something to that effect that fools the jeep thinking it's still in park. However, that affects the high beam light indicator on the dash - meaning it will no longer work. Not sure if I want to do that......this is my son's jeep.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@3loomer - OK..... After MUCH more research and with my son helping and getting EXTREMELY close to the headlights, here is what I've determined:

1. The 2 small lights I described are not actually lights, they are just like reflectors kind of. Even the top bubble and bottom bubble are not actually lights, they are concave out plastic that make it appear they are bulbs.

2. As I look VERY close inside the headlight, (I can see what looks like a small motherboard, there are 2 rows of miniature LED lights - very small - size of a ball point pen head) On the top row, there are 2 of these lights which illuminate when the low beams are on. The 2nd row has 3 of those miniature lights which illuminate when the high beams are on. Makes sense. When LOW beams are on, only the top 2 light up, when the HIGH beams are on, the top 2 and the bottom 3 light up.

Now, when I'm in drive, all 5 of these lights are on (top 2 and bottom 3). It's like I'm driving around with my high beams on (minus the 2 yellow parking lights)

Overall, I can't turn the high beams off when I'm in drive, unless I actually turn the LOW beams on manually.

I tried setting the AEV where LOW beams would come on during drive, even that didn't work. The AEV doesn't seem to be working for any of my LIGHT - DRL requests.

I'm at a lost.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GOT IT!!!

I'm an IDIOT - realizing that fixed it! (#1 and #3 dipswitches needed to be up). As I was looking at the instrucstions, I thought that diagram was to adjust the ONE-TOUCH LANE CHANGE, but it was actually used for DRL as well.

JEEZ.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think the module at the firewall you are talking about is for TJ’s not JK’s, I vaguely remember this from my 2000 TJ.
All the JK lights are computer controlled. The computer runs the high beams at a lower voltage to make them DRL. Same filament at lower voltage = dimmer.
I think what’s happening is that because LEDs require less voltage to run, the Jeep is telling the new headlights to turn on as DRL, but the LEDs are getting enough voltage to fully power up; making them as bright as high beams.
I don’t have the same headlights you do, so I can’t help with specifics. But I do think the solution is to figure out how to change DRL illumination with procal.
My Jeep’s horn does sound when adjusting DRL settings with procal for what’s its worth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts