Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my rough country 4" suspension lift this weekend...only thing I didn't do was the drop pitman arm. I read a few posts saying some people didn't install it. I'm just curious as to whether I should install it...or leave it alone cuz I know (from other users' experience) that it is a PITA to take off. Thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would install it... Where are you located?

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I say install it. I cut mine off like YJwolf suggested. I broke a pitman arm puller trying to get the old one off. Reinstalling requires I think 150 ft.lbs of torque to be secure. Some tire shops will pull it for the cost of 1 hour shop labor. One thing to be careful of is the lock washer. When I finially got my old arm off, the original lock washer had cracked and the dealer replacement is $11.40 for the dumb thing, special order. If yours does crack, you should be able to go to a junk yard and get one off a cherokee. Just take a long breaker bar to get it off. Good luck.

Jeff

·
Registered
40 Posts
i had the same kit on my yj, i installed my drop pitman arm but i had to remove my steering box and take it to a shop cause i broke my puller trying to remove mine, then the seal blew it was a pain in the ass that raised my lift installation from free to 150 dollars, my advice to people is to cut it off i never thought about it or had the tools at the time to cut mine off

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
another vote for the cut method.. spend a few hours doing the puller and hammer.. then in no more then 10 mins cut it off. Just be sure to check the depth of the cuts often, you don't want to slice into the splines of the steering pump.

·
Registered
39 Posts
just go done resealing my sterring box on my 94. the pitman arm will take a lot of patience and penatrant with max pressure on the puller and a big hammar.

·
Registered
739 Posts
just go done resealing my sterring box on my 94. the pitman arm will take a lot of patience and penatrant with max pressure on the puller and a big hammar.
Was that removal at the box or at the steering linkage? At the linkage should be a lot easier - Pitman arm puller or a couple of heavy hammers using the "shock" method.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would install it... Where are you located?
I'm in NYC right now...but I should be moving back to the Oneonta area in the next couple months.

I had the shop that did my alignment install the pitman arm...he charged me $30 so I couldn't beat that

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm in NYC right now...but I should be moving back to the Oneonta area in the next couple months.

I had the shop that did my alignment install the pitman arm...he charged me $30 so I couldn't beat that
Good deal... Can't complain about $30 bucks... I asked about your location because i was going to offer to throw it on for you if you wanted to stop by my shop but your good now..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts