Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I headed to the dealership back on 13 Feb to place my order for a new Jeep. The 1992 YJ that I have had for 23 years is due for a replacement. I did not order anything fancy, just a Sunset Orange Sport 2 door with AC, hardtop, and 3.73 gears. I figure I would put a few bucks towards mods instead of a higher trim level. So now I get to start planning for the mods.

I am going to have to keep the stock 225/75-16 tires for a little while with an upgrade to 32's at some point in the future. This is a daily driver so I do not really want to consider big tires and a lift. Plus driving is realistically 99% on road. I would like to do different bumpers and a winch. Been looking at the Rock Hard full width version in aluminum. They only weigh about 35 pounds. Coupled with a Quadratec Q9000s winch that weighs 63 pounds, the new bumper/winch combo would weigh just under 100 pounds. I would also be looking at the Rock Hard rear bumper to match.

Curious to know if anyone thinks the front end drop/sag would be manageable at that weight or if I will need to plan on a level kit (spacers, not springs). Been reading through the Mega Bumper sticky and saw several folks that went the Rock Hard route. How much drop/sag you guys reckon' I will be looking at adding 100 pound (minus whatever the stock bumper weighs) to the front?

If I go the steel bumper route, it weighs around 135 pounds. With the winch that takes total weight to 200 pounds. At that weight, I am certain a leveling kit would be a must have.

Appreciate any insight anyone cares to provide.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I would assume adding 100 lbs. up front on stock coils is going to decrease it's stance. I have their steel stubby and warn zeon 10s up front and their steel rear with tire carrier and that's a lot of weight but the AEV coils handle it well.

I'd look at a kit that has coils as part of the package if you're going to add their front and rear bumpers.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Perhaps a cheaper route may be seeing what spring numbers the hard rock or Moab guys have then check out the used market for those if you don't intend on lifting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts