Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I bought a used 2012 JK with 35x12.50x18 Trail grapplers on it. Jeep looks mean but with the 3.21 gears its very sluggish and 6th gear is pretty much useless. If I was to drop down to 33x12.50x18 Mud Grapplers would I gain or should i re-gear to 4.10? If I were to gear down would I gain 6th gear back and some of my mpg?

Will it damage my motor to run the 35's till they wear out?

I don't rock crawl or any of that stuff. Just weekend hunting/fishing and picking up chicks.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you drop to 33's you're gonna wish you had the 35's back. A regear will make it feel like a new jeep. I have a '12 (6 speed), 35's and regeared to 4.56. 4.56 will make it perform similar to 4.10's on stock tires.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
If you drop to 33's you're gonna wish you had the 35's back. A regear will make it feel like a new jeep. I have a '12 (6 speed), 35's and regeared to 4.56. 4.56 will make it perform similar to 4.10's on stock tires.
I agree with this post, if you have spending the change to regear i would go with 4.56 or 4.88s.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies but what would I miss about the 35's? Lol

If I get the 6th gear and acceleration back I will be happy. :)

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
That's awesome. I assume you run 35's? What is your top speed like?
I have 4.56 with my 2012 JK on 35's. My top speed is way higher than I have the confidence to drive. When I get to about 80 I really start feeling like my seat is getting sucked up in the pucker.

I think they put a top speed limiter in the computer based on the tire type. I know it has enough power to push it up to the limiter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's awesome. I assume you run 35's? What is your top speed like?
Yup I'm running 35's. I'm a little under 2500rpm @ 70. It has plenty beyond but I don't take it above that too often. It has more power through all the gears which makes it much more enjoyable to drive.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Chicks may dig 33s. But real women prefer a guy with 37s. Just sayin lol!

·
Registered
66 Posts
So with my new 2014 JK that has 3.21 if I put 33" or 34" I'm not going to have the optimal set up? I have read that when you go up to 35" you really should change gears. I'm not going to be rock crawling at all..at least not for awhile, but will hit some moderate trails. I'm plan to go with a TF 2.5" lift & 34" tires and want to be set up to hit the trails, but will mostly be a DD.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a regear. My '14 runs great with 35's and the 3:21's. If you do, make it worthwhile and go with 4:88's or 5:13's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would never go 5.13s(3.6) with 35's if you are going to use it as a daily driver. If you're happy with 3.21 and 35's that's great. I think it feels like you're driving around 1 gear too high all the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts