Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news but is not uncommon this time of year. Keep in mind the top is not made of traditional fiber glass, it is made from Sheet Molded Compound (SMC). Even so you might be able to use some epoxy and build it up, sand it down and paint. Bondo is brittle and the black top can get hot which will lead it expand and contract at a different rate than the top. Are there any cracks visible on either side?

Check out this link:

Fiberglass and Composite Repair | Fibre Glast

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There aren't any cracks on the other size. Looks pretty solid actually. I want to keep it from getting worse.

Does Mopar make a touch up paint for the hard time?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I got the dual top group on my 15 and my dad and I did the exact same thing.....on the other side. I just touched it up with the matching matte paint.

Mine was 40 hours old, after a special order when we dropped mine....

·
Registered
650 Posts
I repaired my top last fall. It's a TJ so I'm not sure if there are big differences in materials, but SMC is SMC.

Search "hard top repair" and my post comes up.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Can't find the link. I bought these parts.

image-1402571894.jpg

Carefully grind the broken strands. I used tinfoil as a form and filled in the missing area with the epoxy. Sand prime and repeat till the shape and thickness are correct. Then paint to match.

·
Registered
650 Posts
For some reason it won't let me post multiple pics.

image-225906219.jpg

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
That turned out nice. I did a similar thing when my HT slid off of my Jeep but my back glass broke too. I spray painted my repair work but I would like to re texture and paint the entire top one day. There is a very good write up about that on this forum.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What I did was spray adhesive around the bottom edges of my HardTop, and placed edge trim around the edges. What this did was hide all the scratches that the fall had did to it. Hell, it might even prevent and future damages, if the HT happens to fall again; it'll probably just ease the damage. For you, the best bet would be to spray paint the entire HT.

·
Registered
650 Posts
After smoothing that out more I used the Upol raptor liner spray gun kit to do the whole top. Very happy with the results.

image-313519632.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Looks great

·
Registered
517 Posts
I second this, your repair and that paint look great.

I have had some minor scrapes and nicks on my top and I did a very similar process with epoxy, sanding and paint. Mine were all on the very bottom edge so they were not noticeable, but my concern was with the loose fibers continuing to unravel. A little epoxy stopped that from happening and then just touched up the edges with paint.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I don't care what anybody says, you Jk guys are alright. ;)

Good luck with the repairs!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts