Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me 2013 JKUR with a Currie 4" lift, TF shocks (9550's I believe), JKS front trac-bar with a raised axle side bracket, and what looks like Synergy Steering draglink and tierod. It also has a Currie Anti-Rock bar. I am getting some weird handling issues and when I was looking under it yesterday, I noticed that the pitman arm looks very new in comparison to everything else and looks like it may be an aftermarket/dropped arm.

It also looks like the draglink and trac-bar are not parallel. I have owned and built YJ's, TJ's, 4Runners and Landcruisers, but this is my first JK. Let me know what you think:

Jack

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Drop pitman arm is not a good option for the JK. Very hard on the sector shaft. Get a draglink flip kit to go with your raised trackbar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drop pitman arm is not a good option for the JK. Very hard on the sector shaft. Get a draglink flip kit to go with your raised trackbar.

My mistake, it does have the draglink flip also. I just can't tell if the pitman arm is a "drop" version or not.

Jack

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My mistake, it does have the draglink flip also. I just can't tell if the pitman arm is a "drop" version or not.

Jack
It does looked dropped to me. If you have a flip kit, you should not also have the dropped pitman. When you say the drag link and track bar are not parallel, does it look like the pitman arm side of the drag link is too low? or too high? If it is indeed a dropped pitman, the drag link will likely be too low on that side when combined with the flip on the other side.

·
Super Moderator
6,811 Posts
It is hard to tell from the pics, in part because even a stock pitman arm will have some "drop" to it. The easy way would be to compare it to another Jeep with a stock arm. To me, that pitman arm does not look like it has 2" of additional "drop". So I would say it likely isn't a drop pitman arm. But it is hard to tell from a picture, and a better way would be to pull up next to another Jeep and compare the two.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
I'm going to say that's a dropped Pitman arm... The stock arm has the nut that holds the TRE in line with the nut on the sector shaft. You can put a ruler on them... Let me know if you need me to take a photo.

Looking at picture 1, the TRE nut looks notably lower that the sector shaft nut.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Not sure if dropped or not, but it sure looks shinier than the surrounding steering parts... I'd guess it's been replaced and why replace it unless you were to drop it... I'm voting it's dropped.

From what I've gathered you want to drop pitman, or do the flip but not both.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Not sure if dropped or not, but it sure looks shinier than the surrounding steering parts... I'd guess it's been replaced and why replace it unless you were to drop it... I'm voting it's dropped.

Yes, one or the other but not both to go with a raised track bar mount. The problem with the drop Pitman is that it adds a lot of stress on the sector shaft and the steering box. So you definitely need a sector shaft brace. And if you are going to go that far, just use the flipped drag link...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does looked dropped to me. If you have a flip kit, you should not also have the dropped pitman. When you say the drag link and track bar are not parallel, does it look like the pitman arm side of the drag link is too low? or too high? If it is indeed a dropped pitman, the drag link will likely be too low on that side when combined with the flip on the other side.
It kind of does to me also, which is why I asked. I agree on the one or the other, but I just bought this as is and based on the conversation with the last owner, I wouldn't be surprised. He bought it pretty much built, but I think he made some changes that may not have been for the better. The pitman arm side of the drag link is too low.

It's hard to get a good picture because it ends up having to be taken upward at an angle, but I tried some additional versions.

It is hard to tell from the pics, in part because even a stock pitman arm will have some "drop" to it. The easy way would be to compare it to another Jeep with a stock arm. To me, that pitman arm does not look like it has 2" of additional "drop". So I would say it likely isn't a drop pitman arm. But it is hard to tell from a picture, and a better way would be to pull up next to another Jeep and compare the two.
I think that is what I am going to have to do because as you pointed out, it's hard to tell from pictures.

I'm going to say that's a dropped Pitman arm... The stock arm has the nut that holds the TRE in line with the nut on the sector shaft. You can put a ruler on them... Let me know if you need me to take a photo.

Looking at picture 1, the TRE nut looks notably lower that the sector shaft nut.
A picture would be great. I just measured from the bottom of the frame to the top of the pitman are where the TRE nut is located and came up with 3.5". Maybe if you (or anyone) can measure theirs, that might be the best way to solve this.

That's what has me guessing; the shiny part in an otherwise used area. Just doesn't make sense as to why...

Agreed, it's one or the other, but not both.

Yes, one or the other but not both to go with a raised track bar mount. The problem with the drop Pitman is that it adds a lot of stress on the sector shaft and the steering box. So you definitely need a sector shaft brace. And if you are going to go that far, just use the flipped drag link...
Exactly, I have the raised trac-bar mount (axle side) and the draglink flip, but I just want to be sure on whether I have a dropped pitman arm or not. The Jeep has some bad bump steer and I am trying to narrow down why.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Jack

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, I meant to make note that to me, the pitman arm and the frame side trac-bar bolt appear to be in line with each other and I would think that you want the TRE and the trac-bar bolt to match.

Jack

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Also, I meant to make note that to me, the pitman arm and the frame side trac-bar bolt appear to be in line with each other and I would think that you want the TRE and the trac-bar bolt to match.

Jack

Here is mine from two angles. Stock amount of drop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is mine from two angles. Stock amount of drop.

Yep, it's looking like I have a dropped arm. Your TRE looks like it's parallel with the frame mounted trac-bar bolt; whereas, mine is lower.

Thank you,

Jack

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts

Jack
Yeah, distance from frame to top of the TRE is 1"...

Ruler shows the nuts align:

Just a shot of the stock Pitman.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, distance from frame to top of the TRE is 1"...

Ruler shows the nuts align:

Just a shot of the stock Pitman.

It’s confirmed. Mine’s dropped.

Thank you all very much.

Jack

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Hey, just wanted to say this as nobody else did. The tierod end itself might also be toast. It has a hole in the boot yet everything looks totally dry around it. Check the play on it when swapping the pitman arm. I would just hit eveything with a grease gun too for good measure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is your plan to replace with a stock design?
Yep. Just got the stock one delivered. Now to find the time to install it.

Hey, just wanted to say this as nobody else did. The tierod end itself might also be toast. It has a hole in the boot yet everything looks totally dry around it. Check the play on it when swapping the pitman arm. I would just hit eveything with a grease gun too for good measure.
Thank you, I will check it out when I take it apart.

Jack

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I installed the new (stock) pitman arm and what a difference! With the dropped version, it had serious bumpsteer and it was all you could do to keep it on the road if it had any rough sections.

Took it for a test drive and now it drives like it should.

Again, thank you to everyone that got involved as I knew something was wrong, but wasn't exactly sure what that was.

Jack

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I have lifted my JK 4 inches. Everything stock except an adjustable track bar. It drives great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts