Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was removing my 4 doors yesterday by myself and had one stubborn door that would not lift off the hinges. I grabbed my jack with a bucket to help it off. As you have guessed I gave it a bit too much and door flew off hinge and landed top first on driveway. I am pissed at myself for rushing it and not having someone nearby to support door while I jacked it. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
899 Posts
sucks. My first jeep 2010 jku. I was taking doors off. Had straps off the front driver door. Had it 90 Deg. Let go of it to get something. Wind kicked up and pushed the mirror into the Hood. Dent Only a month old. Sorry no suggestions for you I just lived with mine. Killed me for about a year.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I suspect a body shop could work that out, but the whole door will likely need to be refinished. Paintless dent repair will not work for this damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I figured...not sure what would be cheaper if I got bare steel door, have it painted and then I transfer window, regulator, wire harness and interior panel to new door...or have body shop work dents out and repaint. Hmmm...or just live with it as a reminder to slowww down​ and think before attacking a project

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Don't beat yourself up too much. Things happen. Bite the bullet, get it fixed, and have fun

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah you are probably right, plus I could just leave the door and not take up any space at shop...bare metal mopar door is $622 alone, https://www.quadratec.com/products/55014_1288_07.htm
Or white shell from mopar overstock for $217 https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/Jeep_2014_Wrangler/PANEL-Left-Rear-Door-Outer-X92--GCF/6862030/55395441AC.html plus paint shop charge and my labor of moving parts from damaged door to new door...hmmm.... I will see what body shop quotes me and go from there.
thanks for the support guys, let you know what happens, I am sure I am not the first knuckle head to do this to their jeep

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Bummer! Feel the pain but at least that's all that happened. Consider getting the Delrin replacement door hinge bushings from Quadratec. Makes it easier to remove the doors without the jack and you might avoid a repeat event.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I find that if you open the door as far as it will open without the safety strap, it moves up and off the hinge easier. If you didn't try this the first time. It's a bummer but it gives you a story about your jeep to share for years :thumb:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yeah you are probably right, plus I could just leave the door and not take up any space at shop...bare metal mopar door is $622 alone, https://www.quadratec.com/products/55014_1288_07.htm
Or white shell from mopar overstock for $217 https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/Jeep_2014_Wrangler/PANEL-Left-Rear-Door-Outer-X92--GCF/6862030/55395441AC.html plus paint shop charge and my labor of moving parts from damaged door to new door...hmmm.... I will see what body shop quotes me and go from there.
thanks for the support guys, let you know what happens, I am sure I am not the first knuckle head to do this to their jeep

Check salvage yards, you might get lucky and find one the same color since it is a common/popular color. I see doors/shells on CL from time to time also.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
There's only one thing you can do to fix this cheaply.

You'll have to go rock crawling and smash the rest of the doors/panels into some rocks so those doors will blend right in. :D

Sorry....that sucks!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya the more i dwell on it, at least it is a jeep and parts are diy replaceable and it doesn't have to look perfect all the time...door still functions, most onlookers probably would not even notice it...we will see when it rains though as upper right corner of door seal is ripped as a result. Regardless, I am sure my ocd will kick it and get it right somehow now or later...keep you all posted, thanks everyone for the support and ideas

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
That stinks, but it could worse.
I'd just get a couple quotes from reputable local body shops. A good shop will explain how they'd go about the repairs. Then you'll know where you stand if you run in to issues like rust or leaks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts