Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m starting to get some rust between the skid plate and the frame. I was going to drop the skid, clean it up and put a coat of paint on it. Anything I need to know before I drop it? Will it be just the skid or will there be a bunch of other stuff I need to look out for and or remove?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
is this on a TJ? i only ask as your pic is of a JK.

if it is a TJ, then you need to support the transmission as the skid supports it normally. then its just unbolting the trans mount and the skid plate bolts. leave one or two skid plate bolts in a turn or two per side to make it easier to handle. if you have a motorcycle lift it makes the job a bit easier but its not difficult doing it one side at a time

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
the skid holds up the TC be sure to put a stand under the trans so it won't lean down on yah. and if you have a motorcycle jack it helps.

beat me while i was typin, haha.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is this on a TJ? i only ask as your pic is of a JK.

if it is a TJ, then you need to support the transmission as the skid supports it normally. then its just unbolting the trans mount and the skid plate bolts. leave one or two skid plate bolts in a turn or two per side to make it easier to handle. if you have a motorcycle lift it makes the job a bit easier but its not difficult doing it one side at a time

Sorry, yes it’s an 04 Rubicon. There seem to be multiple skid plates under there. All seem to be tied in to the main skid I want to take down. Do I have to remove all the skids?

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
if its the OEM trans skid it can be removed by itself and then support the trans and remove the TC skid as described above.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Support the tranny and go easy on the bolts as sometimes they can be a problem getting out. When re-installing use anti-seize on the bolts.

I put a galvanized washer between the skid and the frame so I can keep the area clean and treat it with fluid film.

Also beware the frame on these rusts from the inside out so check inside the frame with a scope or a magnet

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is it stock equipment?
toss up a pic, maybe.

It is stock as far as I know. There seems to be the main skid and then one from the main skid to the transmission crossmember. It seem that that one sits just under the transmission pan.

Also I saw a video that showed the trans supported by placing a jack stand under the rear driveshaft / trans output shaft. Is this sufficient or does it need to go under the trans pan?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
^ yah bell is good.
i'd pull both ( i cannot rembr if you can get to the bell with it on or not , mines gone),

output shaft would work.... but wouldn't be my 1st choice, not meant to hold weight that way. trans pan if you have to, but use a wide board and padding to not crush the pan.
best bet is the bell, it's far enough away to give the skid room to drop if it gets loose on ya and maybe not reach the stand and take it out too.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up putting the jack under the transfer case output shaft. The front skid that’s attached to the cross member prevented me from getting good placement. All in all it wasn’t a bad job. I put 2 coats on the frame and both skids. I found 1 small bolt and one set screw on the ground that I never removed, we’ll see if something falls off. Thanks again for all the help/advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts