Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted a wrangler for a long time, have been thinking about trading my 2001 F 150 Crew cab in on one. started looking for one about a 2 months ago. Looked at this one Christmas eve, and had the day off today-so went for a drive. 75 miles away...
2001 amber fire-auto-soft top -half steel doors-33's. Must have gears - as I had no problem getting up to speed. My 1st impression- I cannot believe how sharp it turns. Unbelievable..... The soft top made quite a bit of noise. ( new top- don't know the brand ) flapping at the top-front. I could hear the zipper tabs jingling. I could hear the exhaust- not loud ,but noticeable. Seemed to be a blind spot looking to the passenger side rear.seat was stuck to far back for me-but seemed comfortable.Everything works. temp stayed at 210-heat works great-hard to check the a/c as it was only 50 outside .

The bad , rear main seal leaking and the tires were worn to about 5 or 6 mm. ( used car lot ) I was able to drive it for about 40 minutes. Really hard to compare to my truck - nothing alike. Hard to believe my big truck is valued less than a smaller jeep!!!! :tomatoes: they are asking $9100, 135000 miles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Would any of you try to talk them down due to the issues with the stuck seat,tires -33 x 12.50 x 16's are not cheap, and rear main seal leaking, the bottom of the trans was wet, had 2 or 3 drips forming.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I'd always try to talk down a lot, but the price isn't ridiculous, especially if she has the 4.0. Most of what you describe sounds normal. The RMS is not that hard of a fix if you're handy, just a bit time consuming. I'd be more curious/concerned with what method she was lifted for the 33s. If you're just starting out in the Jeep world you're better off buying stock.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The rear main's on these 4 liters tend to seep no matter what. If it is leaking profusely, it would be a problem, but if the seal is just wet, I wouldn't worry about it. Price seems pretty good. I have to agree with SurfKaster in that buying stock is better. Stock Wranglers tend to be the least abused off road.

·
Registered
533 Posts
go with stock dont buy someone elses headache.As for turning easy and noise with the soft top welcome to the jeep world

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd offer less.

·
Registered
2002 jeep wrangler x
233 Posts
jeep are know to retain value, i know you are paying a lot for it, but you will be sure your tj won't depreciate a lot.

Can you give us more information about it? pictures would help

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
No rust.

Stock.

No rust.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a skyjacker 4" on my TJ, does this have the transfer case drop or did they put a slip yoke eliminator kit on it?
This is what the rear shaft looks like on a SYE setup.

This is the correct way to lift. Skyjacker also used plastic type bushings in their lift that would wear unless kept greased.
Love the color

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can live with the lift ,front tube bumper and side steps until i can change them. no body damage,interior is in good shape,new top,no noises,shakes,or vibes. handles good when braking, around on ramps and off ramps. I don't want another car payment. wife has new car. I was going to trade and pay the rest in cash.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, no SYE installed . Plan is -drive it, change all fluids,lots of preventive maintenance. Coolant flush,brakes, brake fluid flush,trans flush,spark plugs, change any worn bushings, shocks , belts, check bearings,seals etc... Then do SYE ,drive shaft,tummy tuck,mml,front bumper ,winch.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I bought a stocker as all the jeeps I test drove that were lifted drove like shit. I wanted to do it my way so it still drove on the highway and could wheel the pants off of it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I had a skyjacker 4" on my TJ, does this have the transfer case drop or did they put a slip yoke eliminator kit on it?
This is what the rear shaft looks like on a SYE setup.

This is the correct way to lift. Skyjacker also used plastic type bushings in their lift that would wear unless kept greased.
Love the color
What's up with the fox body Mustang on the other side?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not a bad price, but could get them down a little because of tire wear and half doors...but with the leakage you should be FINE...good jeep!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
What's up with the fox body Mustang on the other side?
Owned it from day one, built it over the years and sold it for $11 grand in 2009 to buy a ram. I kept it mint and every part I replaced in a box for the next owner only to see it trashed in 8 months by the next owner :puke: sadly he did not love it like I did. Now I am left with a loaded ram in mint condition which is not nearly as cool as the stang, but I have a better driving record now!!:blackeye

1 - 20 of 21 Posts