Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer we were in the dessert and we had a deep creek crossing,I have crossed this many times in past years, but now when I cross a creek that is frame deep it will blubber / miss and die...it will continue to turn over fast but will not hit a lick...let is set 15-20 minutes and it will start right up..no codes no problems ??? Well.......there is a black box under the jeep.its vaporizer thing of some sort..well my exhaust got pushed over to it and melted out the side, now I think when I cross a water spot or a deep puddle it filled up with water/ drains and we move on...sorry about the long post, any ideas what is in it ??

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A simple test would be to get the garden hose and fill it up... not sure that would be first choice....might be only choice also

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EVAP charcoal canister, water can be sucked directly into intake from it.
Well I ended up sticking a water hose up in there..and yes is steamed out the tail pipe and blubbered like no other..so I pulled that can out and built a cover and glued it and pop riveted it on and built a heat shield for it...I'm sure it is fixed now but the engine light is on and so is the gas cap light...I tried to reset it with the tuner but did not work.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I noticed inside there is a wall ( divider )that comes out to the side where the exhaust burnt through, I can see on both sides of inner wall I did not RTV my cover to that divider edge so air can go around it next to the out side case.but it apears to be a screen anyway....my have to get one from a junk yard. Rig runs good though

·
Registered
951 Posts
I would take one undamaged from scrapyard, shouldnt cost more than a few$
Also check the evap purge valve and clean (blow) the hose (s) with air.
From my last expirience charcoal granules from a broken canister clogged the valve, and were sucked into the hose.
The system it self doesnt have expensive coponents and is relatively simple to fix.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, if I pick one up from a parts yard I can clean it up, and not worry about destroying this one and then not have one :) maybe Friday I can get this done, thank you all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts