Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completely rebuilt my drum brakes about 2 months ago and they aren't adjusting correctly which led to my passenger side coming apart and that came with a loss of brake pressure during my drive. I can not figure out why my self adjuster arm that conects to the cable and the teeth aren't lining up correctly any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never did like the "self adjust" feature of drum brakes. have you tried adjusting them yer self?
Yes, adjusted them when I installed the drums to get slight tension on them so that my pedal pressure would be correct and worst case scenario I was willing to adjust them myself periodically if need be but It hasn't been 1000 miles and it failed on me probably gonna take it to a shop tomorrow because I have run out of ideas, options, and patience.
Do you have the adjusters on the right side. There is a left and right.
Yes the R is on the passenger side and the L is on the driver side.

·
Registered
1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L
397 Posts
It's been a while... But if I recall when I did my drums, the adjuster was below the star sprocket. Yours seems to be right on the center. I believe the adjuster should be "lifting" the star (and opening the cylinder). Something seems off with the installation... I'm not sure what year Jeep your driving but I don't think my adjuster looked like this.

Reactions: JonStevens

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's been a while... But if I recall when I did my drums, the adjuster was below the star sprocket. Yours seems to be right on the center. I believe the adjuster should be "lifting" the star (and opening the cylinder). Something seems off with the installation... I'm not sure what year Jeep your driving but I don't think my adjuster looked like this.
The 90+ brakes were different mine is an 89 but I've checked and compared parts to ensure that mine are correct I like the design of the 90+ brakes much more than mine and wish I could run them

·
Registered
1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L
397 Posts
Actually. Lucky enough I was able to track down this pic. This is what the brakes looked like when I bought it. (they were totally rusted out and didn't operate). Regardless of their condition, you can see the difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L
397 Posts
Mine is a 90 so is probably spot on for an 89. Hope that photo helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually. Lucky enough I was able to track down this pic. This is what the brakes looked like when I bought it. (they were totally rusted out and didn't operate). Regardless of their condition, you can see the difference.
Yes these are the 90+ 9" drum brakes I believe I think these are a superior design but at the same time I dislike all drum brakes from all the trouble mine have put me through lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
I replaced all of the hardware on my 98 TJ right after I bought it and I also had issues with the adjuster not working properly. Notice on the old picture that the spring that holds up the adjusting lever hooks from the inside to the outside. I hooked mine from the outside to the inside and the alignment lever would not line up properly. I can't see how it is in your pic, but I would check that.

Disregard. I'm realizing that the YJ drum assembly is different that the TJ.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey guys - not sure the year of OP's rig but mine is a non c clip dana 35 in a 1989.

I had the same issue after a brake job. I left em a little loose on install assuming the adjuster would do its thing... but it did not and they fell apart similar to op a month or so later.

I went back in and got the adjuster close to where it should be under normal operation and reassembled. A year or so later and it is keeping the tension where it should be.

My theory is when I left them kinda loose... they never adjusted and once worn a bit they fell apart. When I assembled them at a normal operating tension they seem to now be adjusting actively. Seems you need a little tension to get them started. Of course this means you can't get away with worn put drums haha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys - not sure the year of OP's rig but mine is a non c clip dana 35 in a 1989.

I had the same issue after a brake job. I left em a little loose on install assuming the adjuster would do its thing... but it did not and they fell apart similar to op a month or so later.

I went back in and got the adjuster close to where it should be under normal operation and reassembled. A year or so later and it is keeping the tension where it should be.

My theory is when I left them kinda loose... they never adjusted and once worn a bit they fell apart. When I assembled them at a normal operating tension they seem to now be adjusting actively. Seems you need a little tension to get them started. Of course this means you can't get away with worn put drums haha.
I also thought this might be the case but I wasn't sure I've got it at a shop right now to check it out and hopefully it's as simple as adjusting and possibly new drums we will see

1 - 12 of 12 Posts