Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2006 wrangler x that the previous owner somehow mangled the backing plat for the rear drivers side drum brakes. i found someone parting out a few older wranglers (1998-2002). did the backing plates change at all throughout the years ir would i be ok using a backing plate from one of these older wranglers?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
All D44 drum brake backing plates are the same from '97 to '06. It has to come from a drum brake setup though, the backing plate used with disk brakes has an extra lip on it for spacing purposes.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
I can't say from personal experience on the Dana 35 but nothing has changed on any of the Dana 35 axles from '97 to '06.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
Oh you you talking about the drum brake backing plate (as you did say lol). I was second guessing you and thought you meant the bearing retainer plate some call the backing plate. Yep any TJ drum brake backing plate will work fine. Even from a D44 drum brake kit. :)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
The Dana 35c's axle shaft is held in place with a c-clip inside the differential. To remove a shaft, you have to remove the differential cover, shove the axle shaft inward to expose the c-clip inside its recess in the carrier, and remove the c-clip with a magnetic parts retrieval tool or needle nose pliers. The cross shaft has to be removed first, which is held in place with a 1/4" 12-pt. bolt.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive read a few right ups on it. just was wondering if it was actually as simply as it sounds or if its one of those jobs thats never as straight forward as it sounds

1 - 9 of 9 Posts