Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whenever i am backing out and need to turn my wheels wide while barely moving i get almost grinding noise from the steering wheel. i can feel it underneath the pedal. is it something i can oil or tighten? or should i take it to the shop to get it checked out? I am not the most mechanically savvy.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Miguedona21 said:
whenever i am backing out and need to turn my wheels wide while barely moving i get almost grinding noise from the steering wheel. i can feel it underneath the pedal. is it something i can oil or tighten? or should i take it to the shop to get it checked out? I am not the most mechanically savvy.
Check all joints if they gave grease. Or actually grease them if you havent in a long time. Whatever zerk u see put grease in and go from there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TJ-Q8 said:
Check all joints if they gave grease. Or actually grease them if you havent in a long time. Whatever zerk u see put grease in and go from there.
Ok is there any specific grease to use? Or some wb40?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Miguedona21 said:
Ok is there any specific grease to use? Or some wb40?
For all ball joints you need a grease gun and if not mistaken lithium grease, but its better if someone confirms that.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
up under the dash where the steering wheel goes through the firewall there is a little rubber boot. Slide it up, exposing a joint. Spray the joint with white lithium grease and replace the boot.

I have had to do this twice in my 97 bot times after the Jeep sat a couple weeks. It goes away immediately.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
up under the dash where the steering wheel goes through the firewall there is a little rubber boot. Slide it up, exposing a joint. Spray the joint with white lithium grease and replace the boot.

I have had to do this twice in my 97 bot times after the Jeep sat a couple weeks. It goes away immediately.
Sounds simple enough. would i reach this from the interior? or from under the hood?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts