Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my rear differential drain plug was missing and it failed (nasty smell and impressive shaking). Not my error, and yes I am not happy. My question is, besides needing a new rear differential, which it is getting; should I be worried about the strain it might have put on the rest of the powertrain?

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
I would check the rear drive shaft. If the vibration was bad enough it may have done damage to the rear drive shaft. That would be the first guy in line to the vibration and it is bolted at one end to the pinion gear.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
So, my rear differential drain plug was missing and it failed (nasty smell and impressive shaking). Not my error, and yes I am not happy. My question is, besides needing a new rear differential, which it is getting; should I be worried about the strain it might have put on the rest of the powertrain?
Is it save to assume they're changing out the axle bearings too? How are the U-joints, after the impressive shaking you described?

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Just how does the rear drainplug go missing

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
We need the full story, please.

Reactions: BamaJeeper711

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Yikes.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Yikes is right. Got a good lawyer?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Never heard of that occurring unless was only hand tight by someone. Must of been pretty loud as heck. Diff is toast but still please tell us how it occurred?

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
People could probably hear you coming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so here's the story. I let myself get talked into having the differentials and transfer case fluid changed. I didn't think it needed it, but they said it looked really dirty; and it seems a lot of folks on this forum do it yearly. It does see a lot of wild temperature shifts, so I thought what the hey.

My guess is the teenager that actually got this easy job just left the oil catcher under the differential as he poured the new fluid in and didn't notice it. It was a big shop. It lasted a couple days and about fifty miles before failing. The shop replaced the differential and gave me a JL loaner, and did some other work on my rig that I was too busy to do myself to ease the pain.

Since they made it good and stood behind their work, I'm not going to disparage them online. Yeah, it was a stupid mistake, but they owned it. I'll probably go back to them.

I should have followed my own advice, which is I think folks change fluids way too often on modern rigs using good fluids.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Weird things happen to bearing bores when they get overheated and then cool down. Unless the shop has the measuring tools to properly & accurately measure the bearing bores and confirm that they are within original specification (and proper alignment), I would ask for a complete new rear axle assembly.

PS: The shop will likely have no way of being able to accurately check bore sizes & alignment.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Since they made it good and stood behind their work, I'm not going to disparage them online. Yeah, it was a stupid mistake, but they owned it. I'll probably go back to them.
Crap happens and mistakes are made. It's what happens after the mistakes are caught which makes all the difference in the world. They sound like pretty reasonable people.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts