Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little help please. I'm wanting to put in a dual battery system in my '11 Wrangler. Would some of you veterans help me out please? Who makes a good system? I did some research but I'd like some user input before I go and buy. I have some lights coming I'll install but that's it so far. I also have a homemade independant relay/fuse panel going in so distribution isn't going to be a problem. Basically, me and the family will be doing some camping in the summer and I want the spare power source. Yep we're those campers, can't do it totally right. My ladies have just gotta have some conveniences :eek:. Thanks.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
National Luna makes a great system. And the dual bat plate to buy (the only one to buy imo) is made by Benchmark Designs. They also make a very good system (actually 3 to choose from).

Use these batteries:
Diehard Automotive Battery Platinum P-1 group size 34
Diehard Deep Cycle Marine Battery Platinum PM-2 group size 34M

Automotive as dedicated start battery. Marine for anything else, plus you can jump start from it if dedicated start goes bad.

·
Registered
704 Posts
National Luna makes a great system. And the dual bat plate to buy (the only one to buy imo) is made by Benchmark Designs. They also make a very good system (actually 3 to choose from).

Use these batteries:

Automotive as dedicated start battery. Marine for anything else, plus you can jump start from it if dedicated start goes bad.
Cool. The Benchmark site says "It will not fit 2012+, RHD, Hemi or CRD engines." Do any of those acronyms mean the 2012 Pentastar engine in the 2012 Rubi?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Cool. The Benchmark site says "It will not fit 2012+, RHD, Hemi or CRD engines." Do any of those acronyms mean the 2012 Pentastar engine in the 2012 Rubi?
I doubt any of them fit the 2012 Pentastar, RHD, or CRD engines, just not that much demand for the R&D time and the Pentastars are new"ish"

Another option for the 2007-2011 LHD 3.8 JKs is the Rugged Ridge system Battery Tray & Relay

·
Registered
8,929 Posts

Use these batteries:

I'd call a pair of Optima Yellowtops with one of these systems Electrical Heaven.

The Yellowtops are dual use, start/deep-cycle and can take lots of vibration, temperature extremes, and general abuse.

If you join Powerpack Nation you can order them directly from the factory at a discount. I got my most recent pair that way and the serial numbers on them are consecutive --- it's best to match your batteries by date and this virtually insures it.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
I suppose one thing you need to take into consideration is use. Do you want 2 high cycle batteries, 2 low cycle batteries or 1 of each.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I suppose one thing you need to take into consideration is use. Do you want 2 high cycle batteries, 2 low cycle batteries or 1 of each.
I'm a firm believer in matching the batteries.
And if you've got a winch, you only want a deep cycle.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
That right there ^^^. Will not fit with 2012.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
Not according to the National Luna split charge manual. They recommend hooking the winch to the dedicated start battery, and they recommend a high cycle battery for starting, and they recommend connecting the winch to the starting battery. Then, for all other uses, including jump starting, they recommend the 2nd battery inline to be a deep cycle (slower charging) battery. I suppose there are a few different schools of thought out there on this. I know that the fellow installing my system, recommends hooking the winch to the second inline battery, a deep cycle battery.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Hilldewller.........

I'd call a pair of Optima Yellowtops with one of these systems Electrical Heaven.

The Yellowtops are dual use, start/deep-cycle and can take lots of vibration, temperature extremes, and general abuse.

If you join Powerpack Nation you can order them directly from the factory at a discount. I got my most recent pair that way and the serial numbers on them are consecutive --- it's best to match your batteries by date and this virtually insures it.
--------------------
................ man you ROCK! Thanks so much for your time and dedication to this forum :thumb:

I do look forward to your posts :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
That right there ^^^. Will not fit with 2012.
I saw where it said "2012+," but that seems to modify "RHD, Hemi or CRD engines," and I don't even know what RHD or CRD stand for and did not see anything I understood to equal Pentastar. I'm just unfamiliar with the terms.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Looking......

........... into the engine bay of a 2012 JKU, where the devil would you put the 2nd battery:confused:

1. what are the benefits of the 2nd?
2. Can the stock alternator handle 2 batteries?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Diesel trucks use two batteries. Had diesels since 1995. Diesels in cold weather take more current to start because of glow plugs or grid heaters. I'd get consecutive serial # batteries. If one decides to go, it can take the other with it. Yes, if both are dead (because someone left a light on), your alternator will not like charging both from scratch, it will present too much of a load.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Not according to the National Luna split charge manual. They recommend hooking the winch to the dedicated start battery, and they recommend a high cycle battery for starting, and they recommend connecting the winch to the starting battery. Then, for all other uses, including jump starting, they recommend the 2nd battery inline to be a deep cycle (slower charging) battery. I suppose there are a few different schools of thought out there on this. I know that the fellow installing my system, recommends hooking the winch to the second inline battery, a deep cycle battery.
Check out the creds on the Optima Yellowtop ----- cranks like a starter, cycles like a boat battery.
The info you're quoting is VERY old school, archaic really. Flooded type batteries, in fact.
The Yellowtops have spiral windings, some sort of voodoo. If we say Yellowtop enough, OptimaJim usually gets a thread on his radar and chimes in; he helped me ALOT when I was shopping batteries and picked out my BlueTops for my trailer.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
I've had about 6 folks tell me recently that optima yellow tops have been experiencing quality control issues. Had a lengthy discussion about this at Hollister with Paul May, Scott Brady and others. Their recommendation was the Platinum by Die Hard. Same with the engineer I'm working with.
It makes it confusing when folks that you respect their knowledge, have polar views.

Benchmark recommends:
Designed for the Best Batteries
Our kit is designed to work specifically with Group 34 & 34/78 batteries. We use and recommend the following batteries: Odyssey PC1500, Odyssey PC1500MS, Diehard Platinum P-1, Diehard Platinum PM-2, Optima Yellow Top 34 & 34/78. We do not recommend reusing the factory JK battery. The height is too tall, and the irregular top shape prevents the top clamp from fitting properly.

National Luna and Benchmark seem to be the most highly touted dual battery (complete) systems.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
........... into the engine bay of a 2012 JKU, where the devil would you put the 2nd battery:confused:

1. what are the benefits of the 2nd?
2. Can the stock alternator handle 2 batteries?
1) You are out beyond cell coverage, have no sat phone, probably couldn't get help easily anyway. Think Central America. Baja. Heck, even up and out Onion Creek, where a tow costs $600.00. Your battery is dead. There's no one around. Think off season. Now you have two batteries. Jump the first with the second.
2) Yes. The complete systems, don't merely run down then re-charge the batteries randomly. The National Luna system has an *inteligent solenoid* and dual battery controller.
Here's how it works.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
I looked in my engine compartment, where would u fit 2 batteries?
They sit 90 degrees to the direction of the old battery, plus a couple of things have to be moved. Pretty straightforward and easy peasy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts