Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 Wrangler Sahara edition an I have been wondering how the hell can I run dual batteries with an isolater along with where do I put the other battery so that it is still under the hood ? Any ideas ?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Extended dual battery tray.

I assume you have a winch.

·
Registered
717 Posts
dual batteries

You can adapt the battery try by removing it and extending the side straps out. Cut them off and weld an strap to move each out about 1". That makes it where you can get 2 batteries in the tray. You can get by using the same mounting bolts at the top. Or you can extend those straps, but I didn't. Need to put a spacer in the bottom so the battery isn't sitting on the sharp sides of the tray.

As far as the isolation, I prefer installing a 2nd alternator in the place of the A/C compressor. That is, presuming you don't have A/C. You can get a typical Motorcraft alternator and make a bracket out of 2 pieces of angle iron across the bottom that extend up to hold the alternator. Just have to cut a good sized notch in the angle irons to hold the alternator. They have a built in regulator so are easy to install and wire.

The standard serpentine for A/C should fit. I don't remember just which one I used. You need to make a 1" strap to wrap up over the fins on the alternator to keep them from hitting the upper radiator hose. Just take a 1" strap, form it in a semi-circle and twist each end 90 degrees to bolt to the alternator.

You can put a continuous duty solenoid between the batteries with a momentary contact. That allows you to parallel them if needed or to use the spare battery to starting if the main one is dead. Just be sure to pull power for the solenoid from the spare battery.

With the 2nd battery for winching, if you do kill the battery completely you won't kill the main vehicle and it will still start.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to have duals for my winch lights an strereo so I have all the power I need I also have the 120 amp alternator in there so I have as much power as I can have on tap

·
Registered
879 Posts
You can adapt the battery try by removing it and extending the side straps out. Cut them off and weld an strap to move each out about 1". That makes it where you can get 2 batteries in the tray. You can get by using the same mounting bolts at the top. Or you can extend those straps, but I didn't. Need to put a spacer in the bottom so the battery isn't sitting on the sharp sides of the tray.

Got any pics of this?

·
Registered
717 Posts
here is a couple of the alternator. Rest is not in use right now. I dismantled when I replaced frame and tub and haven't restored yet.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Dual Battery Relay Kit

I have a VW camper with a dual battery set up. I use this relay from Hella. It isolates the second battery but allows the altenator to charge both batteries when the vehicle is under power. And the best thing is that you can jump start yourself!

Perko Battery Switch PKO-8501DP - Battery Switches - JMSOnline.net Marine Supply and Boating Store
I also wired in a battery switch so that I can parallel the batteries and jump start myself from the second battery without using cables. I can also just turn the switch to off when I am not camping to disconnect the batteries.

Just my $0.02.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts