Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new Jeep was rear ended, very minimal damage just a slightly tweaked tail gate. I'd like to take the money to put on the Ace engineering rear bumper and tire carrier, which would be a huge step up from the stock stuff.

That being said, I just found out that the check will be made out to both Chrysler financial and myself.

Has anyone successfully navigated this? What I want to do actually improves the vehicle, but I'm sure the financial institution won't see it that way....

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had this same situation a week ago. My finance company told me I had to get it fixed at the body shop, mail them the estimate, the paid invoice and the endorsed check and they would mail me a check in two weeks. The other option was to endorse the check and mail it and they would apply it to the loan principle.
This was for a damaged hard top that I could purchase like new way cheaper than a body shop was going to get one for. So.........I used my mobile deposit app, endorsed it with my information and it cleared in 24 hours. I don't think the insurance company cares, the finance company will never know, and I got what I wanted and the Jeep is improved. Win-win! Good luck!

Reactions: CFLJEEPER

·
Registered
452 Posts
"Send me a check for the damages, I don't trust your mechanics or you people " is what I am telling the other insurance agency, where the other driver is clearly at fault. As long as you are making payments, Chrysler Financial has no say in it, and you can do what you want.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Last time I was hit. My insurance company just cut me a check and said they didn't care if I fixed the car they were just making me whole. That's how I prefer it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
Being a retired Body Shop for over 30 years this came up many a times with customers wanting to do something like you want to do, do it yourself. I would suggest you call Chrysler Credit and speak to someone there, tell them you want to do the work yourself and you will replace the damaged parts. When work is complete you should be able to take the vehicle by Chrysler Credit and someone came inspect the vehicle for repaired damage and sign off the check. You will probably have to do the work first before they will sign off the check, that means you spend the money from your pocket first. If you have a small dent on the tailgate and don't want to repair it, put some type of Jeep decal over it, it will cover up most of the damage. Remember the people at the finance place are not too good about looking at repaired damage, but if all looks good to them, it's OK. The reason this is done is to protect Chrysler Credit on their loan, some people would take the money and run and let the vehicle be reposed, it's happened before. Many a times in the body shop we had to send the vehicle with a copy of the repair bill and let the leinholder sign off the check, not unusual. Most insurance company's today either put the leinholder or the repair shop on the check, never did figure out why one did it one way and another the other way, other then company policy.

trainman

·
Registered
501 Posts
"Send me a check for the damages, I don't trust your mechanics or you people " is what I am telling the other insurance agency, where the other driver is clearly at fault. As long as you are making payments, Chrysler Financial has no say in it, and you can do what you want.
The lien holder absolutely has a say in it. Until the loan is paid in full, they own a share of that vehicle and have a right to ensure the value is maintained.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The lien holder absolutely has a say in it. Until the loan is paid in full, they own a share of that vehicle and have a right to ensure the value is maintained.

That makes sense. My car was paid off when the insurance company cut me a check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
I agree, and add that the OP probably signed something when he took out the loan legally agreeing to this.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Brand new Jeep was rear ended, very minimal damage just a slightly tweaked tail gate. I'd like to take the money to put on the Ace engineering rear bumper and tire carrier, which would be a huge step up from the stock stuff.
Even a slightly tweaked tail gate is a bad tail gate. It doesn't take much a bump to start popping the internal spot welds.

The fact that you plan is to take the money, and not fix the tail gate, is giving the lean holder of your Jeep concern, doesn't surprise me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts