Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I definitely know I want a hard top. That part is easy (I'll get aftermarket headliners). I'm almost tempted to just scan craigslist and buy someone's castoff soft top. I've seen a few listed "new in box with all parts" from people who bought both but ended up not wanting to store the soft top.

I'm pretty sure I want a soft top but am not clear on getting the Premium OEM (in Dual Top Group) or waiting and buying someone else's (like the Trektop). For those of you who went with the Dual Top Group - do you regret it? Do you think you made a great choice?

Just curious...

·
Registered
134 Posts
No regrets here. Both tops fit great with no leaks. Having a hard to is really nice sometimes. I did buy the Mopar headliners, other than the look they really do not do much btw.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Buy at least the Hard top from factor, so all the connections for the electrical and windshield fluid is there. If you get/want the soft top, you will need to have that put in when you want to purchase a hard top later if you pick up just a soft top model. I bought new 2012, the dual top package, paid the extra for it, and left the hard top on for almost three years. I'll get slack from the group, but love just using the three piece hard top. I really don't have storage at my house for the pieces on the hard top, plus I like the comfort during in- climate weather. Maybe some time/some year, the soft top will go on, at this time, no..

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I've had the dual top package on my last 3 Jeeps, and it's great. Love the hard top for winter and the ease of use of the soft top in summer. One advantage to buying the dual top instead of hard top and picking up a used soft top is that all the tops will be covered by your warranty, versus a used top off of Craigslist would not be covered.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Buy at least the Hard top from factor, so all the connections for the electrical and windshield fluid is there. If you get/want the soft top, you will need to have that put in when you want to purchase a hard top later if you pick up just a soft top model. I bought new 2012, the dual top package, paid the extra for it, and left the hard top on for almost three years. I'll get slack from the group, but love just using the three piece hard top. I really don't have storage at my house for the pieces on the hard top, plus I like the comfort during in- climate weather. Maybe some time/some year, the soft top will go on, at this time, no..

Please tell me you at least removed the soft top from the back of the Jeep? If not, you're running a huge risk of rubbing a hole in the soft top from it being up against the hardtop. Plus it's annoying as hell to get in the back if you don't.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Get the dual group and help a fellow Jeeper out there by selling the top you don't want. ;)

·
Registered
449 Posts
I use my hard top 3 seasons out of a year. If I have a top on I want to use it for more than element protection.

I love my soft top because it can pretty much be taken down wherever you want. I do feel bad driving it with a window open though. I know people that beat the living s*** out of their soft tops and they are fine though.

Hard top may be harder to remove, but it makes up for that in security, all the features of the back glass, better stereo sound, and I even get a little better (like 0.4mpg gain) gas milage with it.

Last time it was warm enough to take stuff off I left the hard top on and only took off the doors. That was pretty cool and didn't even take 5 mins not counting mirror adjustment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I live in NorCal and have had my JKUHR for about a month now. Ordered it with the dual top group and the premium soft top. Took the hard top off within he first week and absolutely love the premium soft top. It doesn't get that cold in the Bay Area in the winter so unless we go to Tahoe in the winter I don't see myself putting the hardtop back in anytime soon. Being able to fold the soft top back in just under a minute is so cool. The family absolutely loves it.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
After spending a lot of time studying on here and thinking it through, I ordered the dual top.

I don't have it yet, so I can't speak from real experience - yet.

I just know two things, for winters here I want the hard top and the advantages it has (I do plan on painting the inside and adding liners as some here have done), but I also know for mid April - mid October I plan on top down every darn chance I get, but have to be ready for unpredictable rain and some cold days and figure if I don't have the soft top, I'd never get past using the freedom panels as a sunroof, because of the inconvenience of taking off the hard top and putting it back on.

·
Registered
317 Posts
the hard top option will add the electrical you need. Personally I added a spider shade and skipped the soft top. I have a hardtop lift and a garage to park the jeep in so for me this has worked well.

you can always buy a soft top later.

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
Not getting the dual top group is my only regret.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what I was considering until I started thinking of premium -vs- regular. I checked craigslist in my area just as a single data point and there was only 1 premium being sold. It happens to be for $100 less than if I bought it new as part of the Dual Top Group (not a huge savings). The point made above about it being covered by warranty or not is a compelling notion.

Right now, I'm leaning towards getting both at once. I like the look of the TrekTop NX a bit better, but it seems less convenient if wanting to take windows off while away from home. The NX window wrap doesn't seem like it would fold up as nicely. I think, for me, the convenience of the OEM soft top trumps.

I had planned on just getting the Hard Top to save some $$. Meh, time to spend more I think. :happyyes:

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
Why? Can't you just buy a soft top if that's what you want?
Because it would have been nice to save a little $$ for the premium top AND have it financed. My trektop delivers on thursday but I'd prefer the premium top, it's a little nicer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dual top group all the way. Love my premium soft top. Wish Bestop would do 2piece doors that matched. Hard top is easy with my Racor lift.
Very happy with the setup.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Dual top for sure. I'm not a huge fan of hard tops but it's great during the winter.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I definitely know I want a hard top. That part is easy (I'll get aftermarket headliners). I'm almost tempted to just scan craigslist and buy someone's castoff soft top. I've seen a few listed "new in box with all parts" from people who bought both but ended up not wanting to store the soft top.

I'm pretty sure I want a soft top but am not clear on getting the Premium OEM (in Dual Top Group) or waiting and buying someone else's (like the Trektop). For those of you who went with the Dual Top Group - do you regret it? Do you think you made a great choice?

Just curious...
I wish I had gotten the dual top, if for no other reason, then I would have the door surrounds. Figured I would just get a $200 safari style bikini top, but found out later I would need the door surrounds too. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you want both i would get the dual top, saces you the hassle of looking around/buying faulty used quality tops. I got both, i got the price dropped down a decent amount by my dealer so i took it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts