Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I am moving from my JKUR to a JLUR. Scoping out the build I noticed the Dual Door option.... made me think. I was going dual top, but now....maybe soft top only & som sweet factory half doors as well as the full doors.
Please weigh in. I’m in Ontario so winter is a thing.

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Looks like I am moving from my JKUR to a JLUR. Scoping out the build I noticed the Dual Door option.... made me think. I was going dual top, but now....maybe soft top only & som sweet factory half doors as well as the full doors.
Please weigh in. I’m in Ontario so winter is a thing.
1/2 doors would be awesome for summer. I’m still looking for 1/2 doors for my JK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a dual top guy. I will check out the half doors and maybe order them later.

I did try to order both and you cannot do that. I guess they can only fit one option in for delivery to you.
Yes, it’s one or the other....but I thought maybe easier to find a used hard top. Wondering if both sets of doors are complete mirrors & all?

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
I don't think they come with mirrors but I could be wrong. They cost enough to justify the mirrors.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think they come with mirrors but I could be wrong. They cost enough to justify the mirrors.
Yes, the price makes me think they are complete.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Reactions: Lightguy

·
Registered
7,361 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
This is what I think too.

My question is why is the option for dual doors and not just an option for half vs full doors?
My theory is the half doors are not really street legal and have no mirrors, they may be missing other necessary items too. I’ve not seen these up close, but I stand by my position. I’ve understood there was a change (federal safety or crash standard) that forced half doors out of production and that is still in effect. Selling them as an option, where there is likely some sort of “off road use only” disclaimer on them, makes it possible again.

·
Super Moderator
11,602 Posts
I’d get the dual top. You are going to find a soft top lacking in those Ontario winters: the soft top does not have a rear defroster nor a rear wiper. The rear curtain literally renders you blind in rainy and icy weather.

Adding a hardtop after-the-fact is very expensive: in addition to the cost of the hardtop itself, you have to retrofit the switchgear, electrical wiring and fluid lines for the rear wiper, defogger and squirter.

Lastly, I found the lift glass a lot more convenient to use on a daily basis than unzipping, rolling up, rolling down and zipping back the rear curtain when loading groceries and other stuff into the back.

If I were to forgo the dual top and left open the possibility to get the other top afterwards, I’d get the hardtop from the factory and the soft top from Quadratec later. This would be a lot cheaper —and easier— than the other way around.

Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Neither. I'm in Michigan so the climate is similar. My solution is Bestop's Sunrider for Hardtop. All the benefits of the hard top plus the quick flip back option of the soft top. I installed it when we had a nice warm day in March of '20 and have probably only driven a few thousand miles since then (working from home) but I absolutely love it.

Ford is actually offering them as an option when you order the Bronco. The biggest drawback, at least for the JKs (unsure if they're the same for JLs) is that you can't take the entire top off without first removing the sunrider. Personally, I love going completely topless but I love the quick flip back at a moments notice more so I'm okay with that.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I’d get the dual top. You are going to find a soft top lacking in those Ontario winters: the soft top does not have a rear defroster nor a rear wiper. The rear curtain literally renders you blind in rainy and icy weather.

Adding a hardtop after-the-fact is very expensive: in addition to the cost of the hardtop itself, you have to retrofit the switchgear, electrical wiring and fluid lines for the rear wiper, defogger and squirter.

Lastly, I found the lift glass a lot more convenient to use on a daily basis than unzipping, rolling up, rolling down and zipping back the rear curtain when loading groceries and other stuff into the back.

If I were to forgo the dual top and left open the possibility to get the other top afterwards, I’d get the hardtop from the factory and the soft top from Quadratec later. This would be a lot cheaper —and easier— than the other way around.

Good luck.
Aldo nailed it.Ive had all the above combinations.

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
I found this while cleaning out a drawer today.

So, I went looking for the half doors.

Yup! Look at this pic. If they do the same thing they offered in 2014 they will come with mirrors.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts

Good luck.
This is exactly what I would do. Get both doors if you feel like you want the doors and do the hard top from the factory. When I bought mine they did not have dual door option or I would have done that. Mine being a 2 door Jeep they didn't offer dual top so I went with the hard top from the factory. Soft tops are easy to find and much cheaper after the fact.

·
Premium Member
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ (6-cyl, automatic)
104 Posts
I'd either get the dual top, or get the hard top and come back for the soft top. Granted my Jeep is a TJ, but I live in Ohio, by Lake Erie, so when it comes to winter I would recommend a full door every time, I run a half door, soft top year round and it is not something I would consider again!

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
Just so you know. I bought one jeep with a soft top and then later added the hard top. If you don't get the hard top from the factory you will end up adding wiring kits which are not cheap. Make sure you get the factory hard top in either combo. I found out the hard way that adding a hard top later is costly and not fun. It took them days to get it right.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Good luck.
Good to know, I didn't realize that the wiring & plumbing would not be there if you didn't get the hard top.
I've seen used hard tops going for way less then factory half doors. My current setup allows me to turn on the backup cam any time so seeing out the window isn't a big deal.
Likely half doors will just remain a dream....
This is exactly what I would do. Get both doors if you feel like you want the doors and do the hard top from the factory. When I bought mine they did not have dual door option or I would have done that. Mine being a 2 door Jeep they didn't offer dual top so I went with the hard top from the factory. Soft tops are easy to find and much cheaper after the fact.
I just checked & that is an option!

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bummer! As soon as I select 3pc Hard Top it cancels the dual doors 😑

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bummer! As soon as I select 3pc Hard Top it cancels the dual doors 😑
Wait...it let me pick the Dual Doors with “Premium” uppers.....only another, additional, extra, plus, more money $600...$5995 instead of $5395. Retirement pushed out another year 💀

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Worth it lol
And there was a time where the doors and top themselves were options. ;)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts