Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

It's been a while since I've been here, and I started looking into the Rubicon Unlimited last year.

I decided to wait and now that 2012 is here, I'm liking the new Pentastar engine. I'm also liking that I'm in a better financial position to grab up that Rubicon I've wanted for the past year or two.

I'm obviously trying to keep my payments as low as possible and I'm trying to decide on options to axe. The most expensive option I'm looking at is the Dual Top option, at $1625 (?). Can I add a soft top later or is there some sort of special mounting equipment that would need to be installed at a later time to do it? In other words, would it be more cost-effective to do things later? I do want to start out with a hardtop just because of security reasons alone.

The second option I'm thinking about foregoing is the "Bluetooth" package, which goes for like $380(?) or something. Would it be cheaper to purchase some sort of Bluetooth/hands-free radio and get it installed through aftermarket?

Hopin' someone can help me out, and thanks!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The only advantage with ordering the dual top option is that the warantee will cover problems with the soft top since it is OE. You can probably find a factory take off on craigslist on the cheap. There are always aftermarket options that are also cheaper than factory and/or have better options.

You can always add the U connect later. That's a mod I plan on doing down the line also.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i had a rag top on my 98 and bought a used hard top to put on it and never put the canvas back on. i had dual top on my 2007 and took out the soft top out and never put it on. i got only the hard top on my 2012 and the soft top still sits in the box in the garage. never even took the tape off it(probably should get rid of it). if i want wind in my face i'll roll down the windows or get on my Harley.

jmho :wavey:

cass

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
i had a rag top on my 98 and bought a used hard top to put on it and never put the canvas back on. i had dual top on my 2007 and took out the soft top out and never put it on. i got only the hard top on my 2012 and the soft top still sits in the box in the garage. never even took the tape off it(probably should get rid of it). if i want wind in my face i'll roll down the windows or get on my Harley.

cass
You are missing a huge part of the Jeep experience.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts

cass
I went the opposite way. Bought mine soft top only, even though I live in WI. It's snowing right now, with wind gusts to 45mph. Tomorrow is supposed to be –15F w/the wind chill.

But as soon as I see a string of 50-60F days in the Spring, the top and doors are coming off, even if I gotta wear a coat at first. :D

Can't imagine owning a Jeep and never taking the top off.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was set on a hard top, but went with a rubi with a soft top only after the test drive...now I don't even consider buying a hard top, I understand the security concerns though, even though it can be pretty easily mitigated.

To your questions, yes u can get a soft top later with no issue. On the Bluetooth, it's one of my favorite options on my rubi, I think it's an option worth the money....it makes for good iPod integration as well.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You are missing a huge part of the Jeep experience.
thanks tom, but i got the jeep experience long ago in an M-151A1 that army kept the top off until about December rain or shine. being able to go anywhere i want....at any temperature i want.....with a great big smile on my face is enough experience for me.

cass:wavey:

·
Registered
571 Posts
I went the opposite way. Bought mine soft top only, even though I live in WI. It's snowing right now, with wind gusts to 45mph. Tomorrow is supposed to be –15F w/the wind chill.

But as soon as I see a string of 50-60F days in the Spring, the top and doors are coming off, even if I gotta wear a coat at first. :D

Can't imagine owning a Jeep and never taking the top off.
maybe thats why my top never leaks.....:whistling:

cass :wavey:

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, since there's not any additional hardware needed to install a soft top, I guess it's an option I can skip, then just go with the hard top to start out with! :dance:

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
thanks tom, but i got the jeep experience long ago in an M-151A1 that army kept the top off until about December rain or shine. being able to go anywhere i want....at any temperature i want.....with a great big smile on my face is enough experience for me.

cass:wavey:
:thumb:

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This will be my first Jeep experience. Oddly enough I started liking Jeeps at around the age of 4, I wanna say (I'll be 38 in March). I had this brown Renegade Matchbox that I absolutely LOVED.

I dunno what happened but I guess I really just never got around to getting a Jeep, I just gravitated towards speed and performance cars more than off-roading vehicles.

I've owned a 1971 El Camino (402ci big block), 1994 Camaro (LT1 V8), and my 2005 STi. I've driven a ton of different Muscle Cars over the years, even some that weren't mine, and I just feel like it's time for a change. The STi is a great car but its ride is harsh and akin to sitting on milk crates. It handles like a sports car and it's just super-practical.

Now, the hard part. I still love my STi and really don't want to get rid of it, not even for a Jeep, but the reality is that I'm going to need a trade-in. We have a three-car garage and there's not going to be room for a fourth vehicle, not to mention, there won't be room in the budget, either. I'd love to play the "blame the wife" card here, but honestly, there's no reason why one person (myself) needs three vehicles.

My biggest issue with getting rid of the STi is that I'm just going to miss the whole driving experience and sensation; the spooling turbo, the acceleration, the "snick-snick" of rowing the gears, etc. I just feel like if I get rid of it, I'm probably never going to own another one. :hide:

...And then there's the other side of me. I still want a rush but want to do the off-road thing. I also need something bigger to haul around my music gear from place to place. It's not a whole lot of fun to stuff a halfstack (96 lb cabinet, 55 lb head) into the back of a compact car and then trying to get it out...rinse and repeat.

I just want something larger where I can "spread out" a bit in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Con Artist
I sold my Mitsubishi Evo a few months back and ordered a 2012 unlimited Rubicon.....I will miss the handling in the evo

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Con Artist
I sold my Mitsubishi Evo a few months back and ordered a 2012 unlimited Rubicon.....I will miss the handling in the evo
Can't blame ya there. The Evo is an awesome car, especially the 8 and 9 models. I'm not so much a fan of the 10, but still, awesome handling. I just really like the "rawness" of the STi and the Evo, and the Jeep seems to follow suit in that department. My wife has a 2009 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro and it's a real nice car, but a little too nice for me. It's comfortable and refined, and even somewhat sporty, but it's just too "powder puff" for me...

I'm just going to really miss that "zippy" feeling of driving that car. I know what's going to happen; I'll probably wind up hopping in it, going to the Jeep dealer, taking the Jeep for a spin, then looking back at the STi and saying to myself, "Hell no, I can't get rid of that car." :facepalm:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts