Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have the duallys(either the old ones or d2's) mounted on their windshield and have some close up pictures for me? im really in need of some more light as the headlights suck and this is a very good option that im thinking of getting...i want to see close up pictures of it mounted and where you guys put the switch...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
if I remember I'll post some pics tomorrow, i just installed the duallies, on the smittybuilt windshield mount. i got a 3/4" grommet from home depot, and put the switch in one of the open holes in the a pillar. not exactly the most professional install (i didnt bend the connectors to make it sit flush) but for now, itll do. cheap and easy. hardest part was running the wire into the cabin, since I hadn't bothered researching the best way to do it

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
None of these are my Jeep, but I have been looking into these recently as well, so I had some pics handy. ORW has these for $189 shipped right now with Smittybilt brackets, or $164 shipped without brackets. Find out more info here.

These are D2s, but these are the brackets I plan to go with instead of the Smittys. Really like these. They are made by Black Diamond Fabrication. (the orange on the lens is just the reflection of the hood)

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
None of these are my Jeep, but I have been looking into these recently as well, so I had some pics handy. ORW has these for $189 shipped right now with Smittybilt brackets, or $164 shipped without brackets. Find out more info here.

These are D2s, but these are the brackets I plan to go with instead of the Smittys. Really like these. They are made by Black Diamond Fabrication. (the orange on the lens is just the reflection of the hood)
Those are the brackets I ordered just got my dually's now I need to get the brackets painted :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whats that in the first picture thats holding the antenna? also, i found them at KrawlOffroad.com for $104 without the bracket. i was going to give Jason a call tomorrow...

EDIT: whoops, that price is only for one...

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Those are the brackets I ordered just got my dually's now I need to get the brackets painted :D
How much were those brackets, if ya don't mind me asking?

whats that in the first picture thats holding the antenna? also, i found them at KrawlOffroad.com for $104 without the bracket. i was going to give Jason a call tomorrow...

EDIT: whoops, that price is only for one...
I was about to place my order immediately at $104 for the pair! lol

That bracket holds the antenna away from the light and bracket. Because the Smittybilt brackets mount the light out and down, the antenna can whip into it. So they provide that bracket to prevent that. I'm not a fan of the down and out look, which is why I plan to go with the BDF brackets. But any of the other up and in style brackets, like the KCs or RRs for instance, won't have a problem with the antenna.

·
First Jeep: M38A1
368 Posts
We put them down on our bumper to light the road and ruts right in front of us, and used them to replace the stock fogs, so I just wired them with the stock wiring/switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
34,447 Posts
I have the yellow fog on my bumper if that helps.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I feel like those brackets will be begging for hood glare. I can't see the hood glare on mine currently, but I know its there, if I took a picture it would look like I had 4 lights up there. those suckers are bright!

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I feel like those brackets will be begging for hood glare. I can't see the hood glare on mine currently, but I know its there, if I took a picture it would look like I had 4 lights up there. those suckers are bright!
There would definitely be some glare with the BDF brackets, just like any of the up-and-in style brackets. I just prefer the way that that style bracket looks tho. Here is a pic of the D2s on the BDF mount. Keep in mind too that it looks like the pic was taken with the camera sitting up on the dash, so you wouldn't normally see that much of the hood from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Here is one shot...I posted a few other night shots from inside the jeep on the "show us your auxiliary lighting" thread.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I will let you know once they are mounted proabbly a week or two.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think im sold on the duallys and the smittybilt brackets(I like the down and out) but what have u guys done for the switches? I can't afford an spod...

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I think im sold on the duallys and the smittybilt brackets(I like the down and out) but what have u guys done for the switches? I can't afford an spod...
You don't have to use an sPod. That just makes it easier to wire and run multiple things. The kit will come with a switch. Just put it anywhere you want. Many folks put them in the A-pillar.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I just use standard switches for all my lights. I made a plate to hold them, but I used to just have them jamed in the space under the radio after I upgraded to an aftermarket radio. the space underneath was the same size as my switches.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts