Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a stubby atenna for my Jeep but am curious about AM reception. I use AM alot (yes I am old) for traffic and weather. So will it make AM reception worse?

·
Registered
72 Posts
My reception took a big hit. I bought two 13" from AntennaX and after having them for a few months, I wouldn't recommend them if reception is important to you. They look good though. I will be putting my stock antennas back on

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My reception took a big hit. I bought two 13" from AntennaX and after having them for a few months, I wouldn't recommend them if reception is important to you. They look good though. I will be putting my stock antennas back on

Thanks! You just saved me a few bucks :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
R u talking just AM reception? I would assume not lol but just to be sure?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I want to get a stubby atenna for my Jeep but am curious about AM reception. I use AM alot (yes I am old) for traffic and weather. So will it make AM reception worse?
I have a "low power" AM station that I listen to a lot that I have problems with with an AntennaX. FM seems perfectly fine and more powerful AM stations are fine too. This particular station streams live, so I just fire up my phone to listen, so it's not a huge deal. I think the looks outweigh any reception issues.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Im talking about both AM/FM. Not sure why you would assume "not."
Well because the OP was only concerned with AM reception and you did not specify... I assumed you meant both AM/FM but due to the difference in wavelengths I thought that maybe the stubby's would work better with FM

Edit: and also if you're getting rid of your stubby's could I buy one from you?

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
Mainly am. I have local fm stations that would probably come in with any antenna. I use am for stations out of Chicago over 100 miles away.
Keep your stock antenna for long range AM! A shorty will probably not pick up anything but the most powerful AM stations at 100 miles. Heck, I loose modest power AM stations at about 20 miles out, with a 24" antenna, it was worse with a 13". The folks who say their reception is just as good are listening to very close stations.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think I will hold on to them for now Pitt. I change my mind like the damn weather. As soon as I put those ugly stock rods back on I will want the stubbies. Despite the reception, they really do look nice.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I've got a 13" and it's fine. The antennae works good too.

But I only listen to sports radio. And half the time, ok most of the time, I don't want to hear about the Bills or the Sabres.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well because the OP was only concerned with AM reception and you did not specify... I assumed you meant both AM/FM but due to the difference in wavelengths I thought that maybe the stubby's would work better with FM

Edit: and also if you're getting rid of your stubby's could I buy one from you?
I've got the 13" off-road antenna just sitting somewhere in my garage. Useless. You're more than welcome to it.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Just totally confused...I'd like to get a shorty AntennaX for my 2012 JKU, got the Sirius radio system.Can anyone confirm if these things work, we keep going round and round, any good? It's only a couple bucks, but keep hearing they work great, other reply's say no good.... Saw something about turning a copper color also? Any input for Sirius systems?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Satellite radio reception is not affected by terrestrial radio antennae.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've had a 13" on mine for about a month now and works fine. The SAT radio is a different antenna (in the sound bar IIRC) so it will not affect SAT reception in any case, just regular radio.

I guess it all depends on where you live. The only thing I noticed has more to do with range than reception. The few times I do listen to regular radio when traveling, I've noticed that I lose the main city stations sooner than i used to when driving say 1 hour or so out of town. But that to me is a non-issue. Would be a different story if you live at the edge of a listening area, then you may find that you can't get your stations as well as you can with the stock antenna.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I live in the suburbs 16 miles outside of Dallas city limits. The wife likes the Top 40 station (which based on their rotation is more like Bottom 5 in my opinion...) that has the highest broadcast power in the area.

I installed the AntennaX Stubby 5" aluminum antenna and had to take it off after 2 days because the station kept cutting in and out around town. The only thing worse than listening to Top 40 is listening to the "Top 40 (DJ Static Remix)".

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
I live 25 miles out of town and have the 13". It works great for both AM and FM.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I live just outside of NYC and had to put the stock antenna back on. I had the 13" Antenna-X on for a while, and though I liked the look, my AM and FM reception took a hit. My AM reception (only listen to one of the News stations on AM) took a hit by about a 40% reception degradation.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts