Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to remove the front drive shaft? I have a small hole in an interesting exhaust piece thats right along side the front drive shaft. It would be really easy to weld back together... if that was out of the way.

so im wondering if its going to be easier to try and drop the exhaust, or drop the front axle.

here is a pic (forgive the blair witch-ness)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks but its actually the drive shaft, not the axle shaft. Its a little hard to tell from the terrible pic

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
It's easy. Take the four bolts off the straps around the ujoint caps at the front axle. The 4 bolts on the cv are on the backside of it, closest to the t-case. You can reach them from the front of the skid plate. It's not too hard just a little time consuming due to space constraints

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if I were to pull it, would I want to replace the u-joints to put it back? or is it pretty low impact

·
Registered
168 Posts
obidya said:
so im wondering if its going to be easier to try and drop the exhaust, or drop the front axle.
This is why you got the answer about doing the axle
Shaft, but just drop your drive shaft, which is very easy. Before you do, you should draw a line down each metal part from the transfer case to the front differential. Use the line to make sure the parts keep their alignment when you reinstall. You do not need to change out the u joint unless it is bad.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Be careful so you don't knock the u joint caps off and lose the needle bearings. Ask me how I know ;)
I usually run a piece of electrical tape around the u joint to hold the caps on.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
if I were to pull it, would I want to replace the u-joints to put it back? or is it pretty low impact
Replace them if you find they are binding... have play in them when connected or when you take off the shaft, if they are too loose and flop around... I mean REALLY loose.

Other than that... the only reason to replace them is piece of mind.....

Be careful so you don't knock the u joint caps off and lose the needle bearings. Ask me how I know ;)
I usually run a piece of electrical tape around the u joint to hold the caps on.
Good advice on the tape... thats how I carry my spares on the trail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts