Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is slightly embarrassing. I have driven a 4-speed auto Chevy Trailblazer for the last ten years. When I go up a steep hill, I drop it into 3 for a little help. Move the shifter down 1 notch, then up 1 notch when I am done. Very easy.

In my new Sahara, when I try to downshift it goes straight to 1, so I have to then shift up to 3 or 4, then back to D. Is there any way to shift from D to 4 directly?

I've honestly never regularly driven a car with the +/- shifter.

Love my Wrangler, though!

·
Registered
704 Posts
This is slightly embarrassing. I have driven a 4-speed auto Chevy Trailblazer for the last ten years. When I go up a steep hill, I drop it into 3 for a little help. Move the shifter down 1 notch, then up 1 notch when I am done. Very easy.

In my new Sahara, when I try to downshift it goes straight to 1, so I have to then shift up to 3 or 4, then back to D. Is there any way to shift from D to 4 directly?

May I assume that you are moving pretty slowly when it goes into 1st gear?

According to the manual: "Moving the shift lever to the left or right (-/+) while in the DRIVE position will select the highest available transmission gear, and will display that gear in the instrument cluster as 4, 3, 2, 1." I assume that means "lowest" or "with highest gear ratio" or something.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
If the tranny is in second at that point and you downshift, it will just go to first. Ive downshfted from top gear and it just goes into 4th

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts

Are you tapping to the left just once?
I'm assuming you have the 5 speed auto tranny.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Left tap will go to next gear below whatever the transmission is in at that moment. It will stay there until you right tap to go up one at a time. Long hold to pop all the way to 5th (OD).

·
The Bad Guy
23,243 Posts
Wouldn't just stepping on the gas achieve the same result?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wouldn't just stepping on the gas achieve the same result?
Thanks for all the responses. Even this one! Am I wrong to downshift up a steep hill? Have always done it when driving a truck -- gets up better at lower RPMs.

First response was spot-on. Each of those times was shifting out from a low gear anyway.

Love the forum -- still in new car heaven!

·
The Bad Guy
23,243 Posts
When you are going up a steep hill with an automatic transmission, stepping on the gas causes it to downshift. Hence the "automatic" part of the automatic transmission.

·
Registered
160 Posts
F it man, it's a slush box. It won't allow you to blow it up. I was dogging a rental Acadia in the wilds of New Mexico (TDY) last month, descending from the VLA to Sacorro and downshifitng like a mug. 3 weeks later on a similar trip back from hiking in the wild, I left it in D. Squish-box handled the particulars just fine w/no input from the biped. I've been relegated to eye candy, driver wise I suppose.

·
Registered
772 Posts
F it man, it's a slush box. It won't allow you to blow it up. I was dogging a rental Acadia in the wilds of New Mexico (TDY) last month, descending from the VLA to Sacorro and downshifitng like a mug. 3 weeks later on a similar trip back from hiking in the wild, I left it in D. Squish-box handled the particulars just fine w/no input from the biped. I've been relegated to eye candy, driver wise I suppose.
Huh? IDU.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Huh? IDU.
What he is saying is, you won't blow anything up by downshifting, but one day he was downshifting alot, the next he wasn't and it was the same feeling.

Thus....the Auto trans takes care of these things for you like its suppose to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts