Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the dumb question - actually dumb questionS.
Trust me, I tried to find the answers on the forum. I kinda understand when people talking about their jeeps with pics but when it comes to my jeep I am kinda lost again:banghead:.

New owner of a 07 JKU, wondering if it is lifted or not. I would like to try some mild off-roading with it. Tires are 285/70R17 (so 33s).

If it is lifted, how much?
If it is not lifted, do I need one, body or suspension lift?
Do I need to trim the flares?
Do I need tire spacers?
Do I need to disconect front sway bar? - I assume that will change the answers to the previous questions as well.

Thank you so much.

Attachments

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
It doesmt appear to be. What size tires are on it? You only need a lift to add larger tires. You only disconnect if you are off road and even then it depends on the terrain.

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
Nope, doesn’t look lifted. Your tires are about 32.8”. 33’s, even measuring over 33” fit easily under stock JK’s. Do you need a lift? Well up to you. What type of wheeling will you be doing? You Jeep as it sits will be perfectly fine off-road. Can you hit Johnson Valley? Probably not, but wheeling is subjective.

The jeep benefits from quick disconnects but it isn’t difficult or time consuming to disconnect the sway bar as it is now, just a bolt and nut.

Obviously the tires fit so you don’t need to trim fenders or wheel spacers.

-Dan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
285/70/17's are not really 33's. don't go by manufacturer specs, go by the old tape and measure to adjust for ur settings if need be.

U don't have a lift and u don't need one. I went wheeling on stock suspension with 285/70/17 (32's) on many occasions.
Thanks. I think I should just go to a off-road park and see what it can do now and see if I am OK with it before deciding if I need a lift or not

The jeep benefits from quick disconnects but it isn’t difficult or time consuming to disconnect the sway bar as it is now, just a bolt and nut.

Obviously the tires fit so you don’t need to trim fenders or wheel spacers.

-Dan
So when the sway bar is disconnected I will have more articulation. At that point should I worry about the tire rubbing the wheel well or the fender flare?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks. I think I should just go to a off-road park and see what it can do now and see if I am OK with it before deciding if I need a lift or not

So when the sway bar is disconnected I will have more articulation. At that point should I worry about the tire rubbing the wheel well or the fender flare?
That is EXACTLY the way to do it. Even if it's bone stock you should wheel 'em before lifting 'em. Know your Jeep first.

You may have some tire clearance issues if you disconnect. I say "may" because, in regards to this issue, it seems like no two Jeeps are alike. Some clear, some don't, some driver's side tires rub, some passenger side tires rub. Again, run it and see what you need.

·
Administrator
42,612 Posts
Your questions aren't dumb, I had the same ones when I bought my '07 a couple of years ago.:thumb:

Looks like you've gotten all the answers already but here's my 2 cents worth :whistling:

1. If it is lifted, how much? Doesn't appear to be lifted.
  2. If it is not lifted, do I need one, body or suspension lift? You can run 33's with no problem without a lift as long as you aren't doing any crazy flexing
  3. Do I need to trim the flares? Same answer as #2.
  4. Do I need tire spacers? This is something you should need to address if you change your rims or find out you have rubbing with your exsisting ones.
  5. Do I need to disconect front sway bar? This is done only for off roading to give more flex with your front end. Note: If you do this off road, you may answer your questions #2 & #3 yourself.
Good call on taking it off road to check things out. This way you can test the capabilities of both your rig and yourself.

The picture below is after I got my lift (2.5") and new tires (34") and the front sway bars are disconected. This is what made me decide I needed to get flat fenders. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW I so dig your military look jeep. I always wanted a sand or green colored jeep but when I looked around for used jeep there are only silver red and black... Finally got the silver one because it is extremely dirt-proof (so I don't have to wash it so often:dance:).

Thanks for your picture. Now I have much better understanding what I should be watching out while first-time off-roading.

The picture below is after I got my lift (2.5") and new tires (34") and the front sway bars are disconected. This is what made me decide I nedded to get flat fenders. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts